Garrett S. Llewellyn is a member of Akin Gump’s litigation and consumer class actions practices. His practice focuses primarily on complex commercial litigation with a focus on disputes alleging breach of contract, unfair competition and similar business torts, breach of fiduciary duty and consumer fraud.
Practice & Background
Mr. Llewellyn has served as litigation counsel for asset management companies, hedge funds, national and international corporations, hotels, insurance companies, and individuals. He represents clients through all stages of civil litigation in both state and federal court – including managing discovery, preparing witnesses, taking and defending depositions, drafting and arguing dispositive motions, opposing class certification, working with damages, valuation, and other experts, and preparing for trial.
Mr. Llewellyn earned his J.D. magna cum laude in 2009 from Pepperdine University. While at Pepperdine, Mr. Llewellyn was a member of the Pepperdine Law Review and the Order of the Coif. Mr. Llewellyn received his B.A. summa cum laude, with honors in Political Science from San Diego State University in 2005.
Mr. Llewellyn’s recent engagements include:
- resolving a Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class action matter on behalf of a home furnishings retailer after persuading plaintiff’s counsel to voluntarily dismiss the case with prejudice
- prevailing at trial and recovering substantial attorneys' fees and costs on behalf of an international hedge fund in a $500 million breach of contract and defamation dispute
- obtaining summary judgment and defeating class certification on behalf of a national veterinary hospital chain in a nationwide consumer fraud class action arising out of labeling and sales
- representing a luxury hotel owner and ground lessor in a dispute against a well-known luxury hotel management company for contract and tort claims involving a hotel management agreement
- representing a high value asset management company in a $100 million breach of contract and fraudulent transfer dispute surrounding the collection and payment of loan proceeds.
- obtaining summary judgment on behalf of an international clothing and fashion accessories corporation in an ADA compliance dispute involving novel issues of law with wide-reaching implications for the corporation
- representing several corporations and related entities against a multi-hundred million dollar False Claims Act case advanced by the United States
- representing an insurance company in a high value bad faith litigation dispute with underlying products liability, tort, and punitive damages issues
- representing a national grocery store chain in a putative “fraudulent labeling” consumer class action.
Awards and Accolades
- Southern California Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” (2016-2018)
- Speaker, “The Internet of Things: Litigation Issues and Considerations,” Akin Gump, February 16, 2017
- Speaker, “Mass Tort & Consumer Class Action in the 2017 Landscape,” The Knowledge Group, December 13, 2016
- Co-Panelist, “Trends in Consumer Class Actions: How to Avoid Becoming a Target,” Akin Gump In-House Counsel CLE Series, October 19, 2016
- Presentation Leader, “Deposition Skills Development Workshop,” Akin Gump CLE Series, October 17, 2016