- Head of the firm’s energy regulation, markets and enforcements practice.
- Handles regulatory and commercial matters in the U.S. energy industry.
- Regularly represents clients before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and other regulatory bodies.
Chip Cannon regularly assists clients with all regulatory aspects of acquisitions, divestitures and financings of projects subject to FERC jurisdiction, including obtaining required FERC and state public service commission approvals.
- Advising clients before FERC in a broad range of matters affecting the domestic energy industry, including issues related to transmission investment and open access; the operation of competitive wholesale energy markets; project licensing; and the development and implementation of market rules relating to market power and litigation.
- Regularly analyzes issues under the Federal Power Act, the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 2005, the Energy Policy Act of 2005, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, and various state energy restructuring statutes.
- Representing clients in energy and asset management issues, including negotiating and drafting management, service, and fuel and power purchase/sale agreements.
- Provides legal guidance related to incentive-based programs associated with the development of renewable energy resources. These include various state Renewable Portfolio Standards and Smart Grid technologies. Also helps clients access programs administered by the DOE, including the Loan Guarantee Program and other programs under DOE’s Energy Effiiciency and Renewable Energy Office and state energy programs.
Public Service and Affiliations