Practice & Background
Ira P. Kustin’s practice focuses primarily on advising sponsors of hedge, private equity and hybrid funds in connection with the formation and investments of domestic and offshore investment vehicles. Mr. Kustin counsels established investment advisers as well as start-up managers in connection with their global operations and regulatory compliance matters. His practice also includes advising clients regarding the structuring of arrangements between investment managers' principals, seeding transactions, co-investment and secondary transactions, and LP-side investments in private funds.
Mr. Kustin also advises investment fund managers faced with complex restructurings, crisis/conflict resolution and consent solicitations.
Mr. Kustin’s recent representations include:
- all aspects of the structuring, formation and closing of hedge, private equity and hybrid investment funds
- private tender offers for interests in unregistered investment funds
- negotiation of managed account arrangements and “single-investor” funds
- registration of investment advisers under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940
- structuring and negotiation of economic and governance arrangements among fund manager principals
- secondary market transactions involving hedge and private equity fund interests.
- Panelist, “The Changing US Regulatory and Tax Landscape,” AIMA APAC Annual Forum, Hong Kong, March 2018
- Panelist, “Operational Due Diligence,” 3rd Annual Offshore Investment Funds Summit, Sao Paulo, September 2013
- Moderator, “Global Hedge Fund Investing,” Latin Markets Hedge Fund Forum, Rio De Janeiro, March 2013
- Panelist, “Implications of Registration Under the US Investment Advisers Act,” Latin Markets Hedge Fund Forum, Rio De Janeiro, March 2012