Practice & Background
James Glaysher’s practice focuses on international arbitration and dispute resolution in the global energy and infrastructure sectors. He has represented clients from a broad range of jurisdictions, and in international arbitrations administered by the ICC, LCIA and the DIAC.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Glaysher trained and practiced at another leading international firm, in both its London and Dubai offices.
In 2012 Mr. Glaysher undertook a secondment at the Royal Courts of Justice, where he was a judicial assistant to Vos J (as he then was) and Proudman J.
In 2014 he was appointed to act as co-arbitrator on two parallel DIAC arbitrations concerning a dispute over a pair of leases.
In October 2015 Mr. Glaysher was a panel speaker at an ICC Conference in Krakow, Poland; with the topic entitled “Between East and West, practical remarks from the perspective of counsel and arbitrator”.
Mr. Glaysher’s recent engagements include:
- Representing a New York-based hedge fund in LCIA arbitration proceedings arising out of a multi-hundred million dollar distressed asset investment.
- Successfully obtaining emergency relief in one of the first “Emergency Arbitrations” commenced under the ICC’s 2012 Emergency Arbitrator Rules.
- Representing a private equity owned independent oil and gas company in an ICC arbitration concerning a post-acquisition dispute.
- Representing a UAE-based mechanical and electrical subcontractor in relation to a AED200m dispute against the main contractor following termination. The project related to a mixed-use development in Dubai.
- Acting for a Gulf bank in English Commercial Court proceedings concerned with the recovery of funds owed under facility documentation.
- One of Turkey’s largest construction companies in a substantial dispute in ICC arbitration under three contracts concerning an iconic development in Moscow.
- Representing Israeli businessman, Michael Cherney, in his billion dollar claim for breach of contract, damages and declaratory relief against Oleg Deripaska