Jason Zhao focuses his practice on corporate transactions, especially in the energy sector.
Practice & Background
Mr. Zhao represents clients in cross-border transactions, including M&A and joint ventures. He also advises client on energy-related commercial matters, such as natural gas sales and joint operating agreements.
Before joining Akin Gump, Mr. Zhao worked for the largest Chinese law firm, Dacheng, for five years.
Mr. Zhao earned his first LL.M. (in Banking and Finance Law, with Distinction) from Queen Mary, University of London, and his second LL.M. (in American Legal System) from The College of William and Mary in Virginia. He received his LL.B. from Tianjin University of Commerce.
Mr. Zhao is qualified both in China (non-practicing) and in New York.
Mr. Zhao’s recent representative matters include advising:
- a U.S. investment firm in its bid for certain oil and gas assets in the Eagle Ford
- a U.S. private equity firm in connection with a private placement of equity securities by a U.S. E&P company
- an international E&P company in connection with a joint operating agreement for a block in Ecuador
- a U.S. investment firm in connection with an LPG purchase and sale agreement for delivery in Kenya
- a U.S. gas producer in connection with gas gathering-related issues
- a U.S. investment firm in connection with rig fabrication-related issues
- an international offshore drilling company in connection with the sale of certain rig assets
- a U.S. investment firm in connection with a proposed 1.25 lien credit facility
- Jiangxi Copper in its acquisition of a 48% interest in certain copper mines in Albania
- a Russian oil company in connection with the proposed sale to Sinopec of certain oil and gas assets in Iraq
- a Russian oil company in connection with the sale to Sinopec of certain oil and gas assets in Kazakhstan
- a U.S. energy company on regulatory issues involved in its coal bed methane project in China under a production sharing contract with China United Coalbed Methane Corp.
- a U.S. offshore drilling company on regulatory issues in relation to drilling operations offshore China
- a U.S. fashion trade show organizer in its proposed joint venture project in China
- a U.S. educational institution on agreements and compliance issues in relation to securities trading in China under the QFII scheme