Jeff Wiener is an associate in the firm’s New York labor and employment group.
Practice & Background
Mr. Wiener defends class and individual claims alleging employment discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and wage and hour violations in federal and state courts. Mr. Wiener also has experience advising clients on the labor and employment components of transactional and restructuring matters, including assessment of workforces, evaluating potential labor and employment liabilities, negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, and the transfer, hiring, or termination of employees.
Additionally, Mr. Wiener regularly advises clients on internal employment disputes, restrictive covenant matters, employment contract negotiations, and employee terminations. He counsels clients on best employment practices under federal, state, and local law and works with clients to draft effective employment policies and agreements.
Mr. Wiener received his B.A. magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania in 2010 and his J.D. cum laude in 2013 from Cornell Law School, where he served as the Admissions Editor of the Cornell International Law Journal. Before joining Akin Gump, Mr. Wiener was an associate at another major New York City law firm.
Mr. Wiener’s recent matters include:
- defense of a retail Fortune 500 company in multiple litigations alleging sexual harassment, employment discrimination, and retaliation under federal, New York State, and New York City laws
- defense of a national hospitality chain in federal court alleging violation of federal and New York State wage and hour laws
- representation of the senior secured lenders, who held approximately $2 billion of outstanding loans and commitments, in Walter Energy, Inc.’s chapter 11 proceedings where they ultimately purchased substantially all of the company’s Alabama coal assets. Representation included the negotiation of an initial collective bargaining agreement with the United Mine Workers of America.
Awards & Accolades
- New York Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2017
- Akin Gump’s labor and employment practice named as Law360 Employment Practice Group of the Year four times in the past seven years, including in 2009, 2013, 2015 and 2016.