Jess Cheung is an associate in Akin Gump's Hong Kong office.
Practice & Background
Ms. Cheung is a member of the investment management practice focusing on hedge fund, private equity and retail fund formation and related regulatory matters.
Prior to working at Akin Gump, Ms. Cheung worked at a leading international law firm.
Ms. Cheung’s recent engagements include*:
- Advising a global asset manager in connection with SFC Type 1 licence application
- Advising an asset manager engaged in quantitative trading in connection with SFC Type 9 licence application
- Advising various global asset managers in connection with Hong Kong regulatory matters
- Advising on authorization of investment products in Hong Kong
- Advising asset managers with respect to the establishment of a fund constituted as a segregated portfolio company
- Advising a global asset manager in connection with various aspects of the anti-money laundering regime in Hong Kong
- Advising a Hong Kong based asset manager in connection with the negotiation of a shareholders’ agreement
- Representing a US mutual fund regarding SFC filings*
- Providing structural and regulatory advice for a Hong Kong asset manager in regard to its hedge fund business*
- Advising a Hong Kong asset manager on the establishment of a hedge fund*
- Providing structural and regulatory advice for a Chinese financial institution in regard to its mutual funds*
- Advising on regulatory issues for an asset manager proposed to carry out Type 1 regulated activities in Hong Kong*
*The experience was gained at a previous law firm