John Wittenzellner is a registered patent lawyer who focuses his practice on complex patent litigation and intellectual property (IP) transactions.
Practice & Background
Mr. Wittenzellner has litigated and prosecuted patents in a variety of fields, including electronics, computer networking and Internet technology, automotive safety devices, semiconductor manufacturing and design, optics, microelectromechanical systems and software. He has also advised clients on patent portfolio valuation and risk assessment.
Mr. Wittenzellner’s litigation and trial experience includes the International Trade Commission (ITC), the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), and district courts across the country. He has successfully argued at Markman hearings, taken critical expert depositions and cross-examined witnesses.
Prior to law school, Mr. Wittenzellner worked as an engineer at National Semiconductor, Motorola, Photronics and Micron Technology, where he managed teams working on CMOS, DRAM, FLASH and other semiconductor devices.
Mr. Wittenzellner earned his J.D. from the George Mason University School of Law, where he was an articles editor for the Federal Circuit Bar Journal. He received his B.S. in microelectronic engineering in 2003 from the Rochester Institute of Technology, where he conducted undergraduate research in optical proximity correction structures for semiconductor lithography.
Mr. Wittenzellner’s recent engagements include:
- representing a leading provider of telephone devices and services for deaf and hard-of-hearing users (PTAB)
- representing a leading television manufacturer against patents concerning digital television transmission and processing (E.D. Tex.)
- representing a leading developer of human interface devices against a competitor in patent litigation related to touchscreen controllers (ITC)
- defending a leading personal computer manufacturer against patents concerning noise and echo cancellation technology (ITC)
- defending a leading satellite-television provider against a patent concerning digital-video recording (D. Del.)
- defending a leading personal computer manufacturer against patents concerning the DisplayPort standard (E.D. Tex.)
- defending a leading entertainment company against patents concerning digital communications (E.D. Tex.)
- defending numerous telecommunications companies against patents concerning features for mobile phones (E.D. Tex.)
- defending a leading automobile manufacturer in multiple jurisdictions against patents concerning vehicle-occupant protection (E.D. Tex. D. Del. E.D. Mich.)
- defending a leading mobile phone manufacturer against patents concerning paging (D. Mich.)
- defending a leading automobile manufacturer against patents concerning integration of portable music players with in-vehicle entertainment systems (E.D. Tex.)
- representing the largest beverage producer in the United States in patent and trade dress litigation related to protection of a unique packaging design for a premium juice product (N.D. Tex.)
- defending a leading Internet and software company against a patent concerning digital image compression algorithms (E.D. Tex.)
- defending a leading television manufacturer against patents concerning video processing, digital television transmission and content presentation (ITC).
Awards & Accolades
- named by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in the field of intellectual property (2015-2016).
- Supreme Court and Federal Circuit Year in Review (May 2016 to May 2017), Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association, Year-in-Review Meeting, May 17, 2017.