Joseph W. Whitehead’s practice covers a variety of transactional, litigation, compliance and government contracts matters.
Practice & Background
Mr. Whitehead has assisted government contractors in all aspects of contracting, including compliance programs, prime and subcontract drafting and analysis, standard terms and conditions, contract negotiation, bid protests and appeals. Mr. Whitehead has experience in business and government contract disputes and complex civil and commercial litigation. He has also represented government contractors involved in mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Whitehead’s government investigations experience includes the defense of inquiries conducted by government agencies in connection with the False Claims Act and by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in connection with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Mr. Whitehead has spent a significant amount of time in the Middle East advising clients on aerospace and defense contracts and other legal and regulatory matters.
While pursuing his J.D. at the University of Texas, Mr. Whitehead served as an editor of the Texas Review of Law and Politics. He clerked for the Honorable Susan G. Braden of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and from 1999 to 2004 he served on active duty with the United States Air Force.
Mr. Whitehead’s recent engagements include:
- seconded to major medical device company to implement government contract compliance program and advise on issues related to contracting with the government, including bid protests and contract negotiation
- representing construction firms with respect to issues arising from contracts for construction of U.S. government facilities in the Middle East and in Asia
- representing a defense contracting firm before the Armed Services Board of Appeals
- representing construction and development firms in bid protests before the GAO
- the pro bono representation of a non-profit organization with respect to issues regarding grant agreements with USAID
- representing defense contractors with regard to entering teaming agreements, prime contracts and subcontracts
- advising clients with respect to internal investigations of potential statutory violations.
Mr. Whitehead’s community, civic and charitable activities include being a:
- member of the board of directors for the Air Force Academy Society of Washington, D.C.
- founding member of the Service Academy Bar Association
Awards & Accolades
- Named “Rising Star” by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers (2014-2016)