Kapil V. Pandit’s practice focuses on private investment funds and complex corporate transactions, with a particular focus on private equity and hedge fund formation and other alternative investment matters in various jurisdictions, including the United States, India, Mauritius and the Cayman Islands. Mr. Pandit is also a member of the firm’s India practice.
Practice & Background
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Pandit interned in Mumbai, India, with AGM India Advisors Pvt. Ltd., an affiliate of Apollo Management, where he assisted with a $100 million equity investment in Dish TV India Ltd. (a direct-to-home entertainment provider in India) through a subscription to global depository receipts (GDRs). Mr. Pandit also previously worked in operations and supply chain management for Lockheed Martin Corporation, where he participated in the Operations Leadership Development Program (OLDP) and was involved with projects in logistics, international offsets/industrial cooperation, lean manufacturing, six-sigma process improvement and subcontract management.
Mr. Pandit received his J.D. in 2009 from Howard University School of Law, where he was a member of the Charles Hamilton Houston National Moot Court team and participated in the Law Student Observer Program at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission – Office of Mergers and Acquisitions. He received his M.S. in project management in 2006 from The George Washington University, a B.S. in logistics, transportation and supply chain management and a B.S. in management science and statistics in 2003 from the University of Maryland.
Mr. Pandit’s recent representations include representing:
- a U.S. private equity fund sponsor in connection with the structuring and formation of investment fund vehicles for a private equity fund focused on stressed, distressed and special credit opportunities in India
- a U.S. hedge fund advisor in connection with the structuring and formation of a $1 billion dual investment mandate from a sovereign wealth fund, which involved creating a single investment platform that combined a relatively illiquid investment mandate requiring a closed-end fund with a highly liquid investment mandate typically pursued via open-ended funds or managed accounts
- a prominent and successful U.S. hedge fund manager in connection with the structuring and formation of a private investment fund through which a reinsurance company’s investable assets are managed
- a U.S. hedge fund advisor in connection with the structuring and formation of a $600 million opportunistic credit fund and with ongoing operational advice related to the fund
- a U.S. private equity fund sponsor in connection with the structuring and formation of a private investment fund focused on the life settlements industry
- a U.S. credit hedge fund manager with approximately $2.5 billion in AUM in connection with its spinout from a larger hedge fund management platform.
Mr. Pandit is on the board of advisors of the Alliance of Securities and Financial Educators (ASAFE).
Awards & Accolades
- Named “Rising Star” by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers (2016)