Katherine M. Katchen focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation, primarily in the area of health care and insurance.
Practice & Background
Ms. Katchen received her B.A. in communications in 1994 from Villanova University and her J.D. in 1997 from the University of Pittsburgh, where she was an editor of The Journal of Law and Commerce.
Ms. Katchen is active in pro bono and charity work. She is a volunteer attorney and her office’s practice group leader for the Support Center for Child Advocates, the country’s oldest and largest pro bono legal and social services agency for children. She also is a long-time volunteer and board member of the Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue.
Ms. Katchen’s recent representations include:
Health Care and Insurance Industry
- health insurers, managed care companies and third party administrators in state and federal actions in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Florida, Illinois, California, Maryland and Virginia brought by health care providers, professional medical societies and subscribers alleging a variety of legal theories including RICO conspiracy, ERISA violations, bad faith, fraud, contract and quasi-contract, tortious interference, and breach of state prompt pay and other statutes
- Medical Assistance (Medicaid) managed care health plans in a series of actions filed by ambulance providers alleging improper reimbursement
- an insurance company in several actions challenging the termination of independent contractor agency agreement
- an insurance company in a series of class actions challenging the company’s business reorganization and the releases executed in connection therewith, and alleging claims of age discrimination, retaliation, violations of ERISA, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty.
Oil & Gas Industry
- ongoing defense of a petroleum products marketer in MTBE product liability and contamination cases that are part of a large multidistrict litigation in the Southern District of New York
- two U.S. subsidiaries of a large Russian oil company, a former and a current executive of the companies, involving allegations that they violated the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act
- a large marketer of gasoline and diesel fuel against claims under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, which claims were dismissed at summary judgment
- pipe line contractors association in labor disputes involving activity concentrated in the Marcellus Shale regions of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
- a major generic pharmaceutical company in private multiparty class action litigation involving an alleged “reverse payment” settlement
- a manufacturer of the building material oriented strand board in nationwide direct and indirect purchaser antitrust class actions alleging conspiracy to restrict supply and fix prices
- a leading Internet security company in a series of complex litigations arising from alleged breaches of various purchase agreements whereby the company acquired certain start-up internet security/consulting firms, including disputes related to earnout provisions in the agreements
- a provider of payment processing services, and certain of its individual officers and directors, in an 11-day federal jury trial, which resulted in a complete defense verdict that was affirmed on appeal by the Third Circuit in all respects. The 30-count complaint alleged claims for mail, wire and bank fraud under RICO, as well as a host of other federal and state claims ranging from Title VII discrimination to breach of various employment and operating agreements.
Awards & Accolades
- Distinguished Advocate for Children, Support Center for Child Advocates (2016)
- Pennsylvania Diversity Council “Most Powerful & Influential Women of Pennsylvania” (2014)
- Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” (2013-2016)
- Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers – Rising Star” (2005-2011)
- Law360 “Rising Star” in area of insurance (2010)
- Pennsylvania Law Weekly “Lawyers on the Fast Track” (2006)
- Cover Your Assets: Drafting and Enforcing Restrictive Covenant Agreements, Association of Corporate Counsel of America, Delaware Valley Chapter, August 2016
- ERISA is 40….But is it Still Fabulous? Blue Cross Blue Shield 2015 Blue National Summit, April 2015
- Changing Provider-Payer Relationship Post-ACA, American Bar Association Health Law Section, 16th Annual Conference on Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law, March 2015
- 2014 Update & Trends in Shareholder Law & Litigation, Association of Corporate Counsel of America, Delaware Valley Chapter, April 2014
- Regulatory, Legal & Political Issues for FDA Regulated Companies: Corporate Officer Responsibilities and Liability, Legal & Regulatory Landscape for Life Sciences in 2012, presented by Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, February 2012
- Responding to Government Investigations and Preparing for Follow-On Litigation, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association’s 44th Annual Lawyer’s Conference, May 2010
- Obama’s Antitrust Watchdogs: Has the Bite Been Worse Than the Bark? Trends in Private Antitrust Litigation, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Business Law Institute, November 2009
- Antitrust Compliance: Tips for In-House Counsel to Minimize Antitrust Risk, Association of Corporate Counsel of America, Delaware Valley Chapter, May 2009
- Recent Trends in DOJ and SEC Actions Against In-House Counsel, Association of Corporate Counsel of America, Delaware Valley Chapter, April 2009
- Personal Liability Risks Facing In-House Counsel, Association of Corporate Counsel of America, Delaware Valley Chapter, April 2007; Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s 12th Annual Business Lawyer’s Institute, November 2006.