Kelli L. Moll’s practice focuses on the formation and ongoing operation of hedge funds and private equity funds, as well as counseling investment advisers.
Practice & Background
Ms. Moll has represented numerous hedge funds and their managers in connection with fund formations, seed capital arrangements, compensation arrangements among partners and employees, the acquisition of trading groups, complex fund restructurings, private equity co-investments and registration and compliance under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
Ms. Moll received her B.S. in finance from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1989 and her J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 1993, where she was both a staff editor of The Business Lawyer and case editor of the Loyola Consumer Law Reporter.
Ms. Moll has lectured extensively on hedge funds. As the first speaker in a new InterLinks podcast series targeting the financial services industry, Ms. Moll presented on “U.S. and E.U. Proposed Legislation: New Regulation Requirements and Assessing Systemic Risk.” In addition, she was invited to discuss product development issues at Campbells Cayman Fund Focus Conference in 2012 and 2009, hedge fund regulations at PLI’s Investment Management Institute and establishing a framework of internal policies, practices and controls at a recent American Conference Institute event. Ms. Moll has also authored numerous articles on issues affecting investment funds and their managers.
Ms. Moll’s recent representations include:
- numerous large entrepreneurial and institutional managers in the formation of hedge and private equity funds
- investment managers in a variety of seed capital arrangements
- managers of hedge funds and private equity funds regarding compensation arrangements among partners and employees including vesting arrangements and restrictive covenants
- investment managers in the acquisition of trading groups including acquisitions of funds
- complex fund restructurings, including modified Dutch auctions
- investment managers in private equity co-investments
- investment managers with regard to registration under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and related compliance.
Ms. Moll is involved in numerous community, civic and charitable activities that include being a Golden Circle Member of the American Ballet Theatre.
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized by The Who’s Who in Legal 100: Private Funds, 2014 and 2015
- Recommended by The Legal 500 US: Alternative/Hedge Funds, 2015
- Women in Compliance Breakfast, DMS Offshore Investment Services, November 2015
- Compliance Panelist, McGladrey's 7th Annual Investment Industry Summit, October 2015
- Hedge funds starting direct lending vehicles, HFMWeek US Breakfast Briefing, New York, September 2015
- The Changing Role of Hedge Fund Investor Relations, Backstop Solutions Group and U.S. Bancorp Fund Services, April 2015
- Practical Insight on Marketing and Distribution in Europe Under AIFMD, HFMWeek US Breakfast Briefing, New York, June 2015
- Current Terms: Hedge Funds, IBA 16th Annual International Conference of Private Investment Funds, London, March 2015
- Legal and Tax, HFA Symposium: Hedge Fund Launch – Navigating in a New Environment, Washington D.C., February 2014
- US Regulatory Round-Up, Campbell’s Cayman Fund Focus 2013, Grand Cayman, November 2013
- Funds of One and Separately Managed Accounts: Where are We Today?, 8th Annual GAIM Ops Cayman Conference, Grand Cayman, April 2013
- Conflicts and Other Ethical Issues for Fund Counsel, 14th Annual International Conference on Private Investment Funds, London, England, March 2013
- The Regulatory Environment: The Quest for Transparency, Institutional Investor's Alpha Hedge Conference, New Orleans, February 2013
- Operational Issues, Campbells Cayman Fund Focus 2012, Grand Cayman, November 2012
- Marketing Hurdles for Private Fund Managers, ACA 2010 Compliance Conference, San Diego, September 2010
- The True Value of Hedge Fund Managed Accounts, FRA Hedge Fund Managed Accounts Webinar, May 2010
- Hedge Funds at Large, NYU Hedge Fund Panel “Hedge Funds in Today’s Economy,” New York, November 2009
- Product Development, Campbells Cayman Fund Focus-2009, Grand Cayman, October 2009
- Causes of Recent Financial Crisis and Effect on Fund Structures, Cayman Funds Focus 2008, Grand Cayman, February 2008
- SEC Examination Hot Topics, National Regulatory Services Compliance Conference, November 2006
- The Regulation of Hedge Funds, Practising Law Institute (PLI) Investment Management Institute: Meeting the Challenge of a New Regulatory Regime, April 2005
- Establishing a Framework of Internal Policies, Practices, and Controls, American Conference Institute’s Hedge Funds: Developing and Implementing Compliance Best Practices in the New Regulatory Environment Conference, January 2005
- The Revised Custody Rule, Financial Research Associates (FRA) Investment Adviser Compliance Forum, May 2004
- The Impending Regulation of Hedge Funds, PLI Investment Management Institute, April 2004
- Hedge Funds in a Mutual Fund Environment: What You Need to Know Regarding Structure, Compensation and Regulatory Issues, The Hedge Fund 2001 Summit, September 2001
- Surviving an SEC Inspection: Examination of Registered Advisers, Institute for International Research (IIR), June 2000
- Hot to Get Business, Advisers Education Group Conference, March, June, September and December 1999; March, June and September 2000; and March 2001.