Kevin E. Cadwell is an experienced trial lawyer and represents clients in intellectual property (IP) and complex commercial litigation matters.
Practice & Background
Mr. Cadwell brings extensive experience in (IP) litigation, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and trade dress litigation. His experience spans a wide range of industries, including energy, technology, pharmaceuticals, biotech and medical devices. Mr. Cadwell has represented clients in trials, arbitrations and mediations, and has advised them on a variety of issues relating to IP licensing and contract disputes.
In addition to his IP litigation practice, Mr. Cadwell handles business litigation and disputes involving a diverse range of issues, including energy-related disputes, fraud claims, contract matters, shareholder and securities suits, and government investigations.
Mr. Cadwell has significant trial and hearing experience, has argued dozens of summary judgment motions and has handled several cases before the International Trade Commission.
Mr. Cadwell received his J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School. He has an M.A. in Biblical Studies from Dallas Theological Seminary and a B.S. from the University of Texas.
Mr. Cadwell’s recent experience includes:
- representing a multinational telecommunications company in numerous cases involving defense against patent infringement claims in the Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of Texas; Central and Northern Districts of California; Eastern District of Virginia; District Court of Delaware; and Southern District of New York
- representing a pharmaceutical company at trial in competitor lawsuits
- representing an international computer technology company against patent infringement claims
- representing a large broadband telecommunications company against patent infringement claims and in commercial cases involving contract disputes
- representing a digital cable company in a dispute concerning a patent license agreement against claims for breach of contract and fraud
- representing former officers and directors of an employment website against claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties brought by a former shareholder and previous owner of the URL; the trial resulted in a unanimous verdict for defendants
- representing a multinational computer, electronics and network equipment provider in defense of a patent infringement case involving WebEx-related technology; obtained summary judgment for noninfringement
- representing international oil and gas companies in cases ranging from contractual disputes to IP matters
- representing an international mining company against commercial litigation stemming from a bankruptcy filing
- representing and advising a gas company on a wide range of matters, including commercial and intellectual property disputes
- representing an American mass media company in litigation of accounting-related issues and defending against claims for breach of contract and fraud; resolved three weeks before trial.