Marc C. Hammerson’s principal areas of practice are mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and project development in the energy industry. Mr. Hammerson has over 21 years of experience working in the energy industry, including upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas and power generation.
Practice & Background
Mr. Hammerson has been based in London, Dubai, Houston, Singapore and Tokyo and has experience in energy transactions throughout the Middle East, Africa, Europe and the Far East.
He has extensive experience in advising energy majors and independent energy companies in upstream and downstream oil and gas and power.
Mr. Hammerson has authored and edited several books and articles, including Oil and Gas Decommissioning: Law, Policy and Comparative Practice, Second Edition (2016), Oil & Gas in Africa: A Legal and Commercial Analysis of the Upstream Industry (2015), Oil & Gas M&A, Upstream Oil & Gas, an article on LNG financing techniques in the LNG Journal (2007) and an article on African production-sharing agreements in Petroleum Africa (2007).
Mr. Hammerson’s recent engagements include:
Oil & Gas
- acting for the private placement noteholders and the administrators of Afren plc during its administration. Prior to the company entering into administration in August 2015, Mr Hammerson acted for the ad-hoc committee of noteholders in the negotiation of the terms of recapitalisation and financial restructuring of Afren
- representing LUKOIL on its farm-in agreement for the Etinde permit, offshore Cameroon (subject to government consent)
- representing LUKOIL in its acquisition of a 45% funding interest in OML 140, offshore Nigeria
- representing LUKOIL Overseas on its farm-in agreement for block SL-4B-10, offshore Sierra Leone
- representing Chinese state-owned oil company with pipeline capacity and tie-in agreements relating to an African cross-border pipeline
- representing Chinese private equity group on its acquisition of deepwater Nigerian oil and gas license
- advising Eland Oil & Gas on a variety of corporate and M&A matters, including upstream acquisitions in Nigeria
- representing El Paso on its disposal of a petroleum products terminal and pipeline in the Philippines
- representing First Reserve on its investment in Highland Energy
- representing Heerema Marine Contractors on its acquisition of Pipeline Technique Limited and shareholder arrangements
- representing Motor Oil Hellas on its acquisition of Shell’s downstream oil & gas business in Greece
- representing Oman Oil on its disposal of upstream oil and gas assets
- representing Petrochina on unitisation and production handling agreements in Indonesia
- representing a project developer in the development of a 200MW independent power plant in the West Bank of Palestine, including a $1.2 billion contract to purchase gas from offshore Israel
- representing private equity fund on the acquisition of power generation assets in the Dominican Republic, Kenya and Malaysia
- representing private equity fund on the disposal of power generation assets in Angola and Venezuela
- representing Constellation Energy on its potential acquisition of U.K. power assets
- representing Constellation Energy on energy trading agreements
- representing the sellers on the divestment of Enfield power plant.
Awards & Accolades
- Who’s Who Legal: Energy 2017 identifies Mr. Hammerson as being among the world’s leading energy lawyers.
- Chambers UK 2017 states that Mr. Hammerson’s "wealth of deal experience is helpful" to his clients and he attracts praise for his extensive work on energy matters in Africa. "When I have an oil and gas question, he's my first port of call," says one source, continuing: "If you need him on a call at silly o'clock in the morning, he will make himself available and that's just fantastically valuable."
- Chairman of Supervisory Board – University of Buckingham Centre for Extractive Energy Studies
- Member of Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Who’s Who Legal: Energy 2016 and Who’s Who Legal 2017 – Compendium Edition identifies Mr. Hammerson as being among the world’s leading energy lawyers.
- Chambers UK 2016 describes Mr Hammerson as a "pragmatic lawyer" who is very experienced on oil and gas work and is particularly adept at transactional work in Africa. Interviewees say: "The combination of his corporate and energy work is multifaceted and comprehensive."
- Chambers UK 2015 describes Mr. Hammerson as having “a strong upstream and downstream oil and gas practice.”
- Chambers UK 2014 describes Mr. Hammerson as an “old school oil and gas lawyer”.
- Chambers UK 2013 quotes client feedback on Mr. Hammerson as being “a solid upstream lawyer with good project development skills. He is able to offer clients substantial experience in the energy sector, including on power generation matters”.
- Chambers UK 2012 describes Mr. Hammerson as “a specialist in upstream exploration and production in the oil and gas sector”.
- Chambers UK 2010 notes that Mr. Hammerson “has a steady and measured approach to energy work and is an expert in upstream M&A”.
- Chambers UK 2009 recognizes Mr. Hammerson as one of the leading energy lawyers in the UK: “Marc Hammerson has an eminently measured approach and a comprehensive understanding of all the legal issues affecting clients’ needs”.
- Chambers UK 2009, in recognition of his work on carbon capture from power plants and storage in depleted oil & gas fields, refers to Mr. Hammerson in the section on the UK’s leading environmental lawyers.
- Chambers Global 2009 commends Mr. Hammerson as a leading corporate lawyer specializing in Africa: “the recruitment of Marc Hammerson, an energy-focused practitioner, consolidates the abilities of the 22-lawyer African team, which has had successes in a number of areas.” This commendation relates to work in the power industry.
- Legal 500 EMEA 2016 recommends Mr. Hammerson for Construction, Energy & Infrastructure and Iraq and notes that he is “particularly strong in the oil and gas space”.
- Legal 500 UK 2015 recommends Mr. Hammerson for Oil and Gas and describes him as ‘highly regarded’ by clients.
- Previous editions of Legal 500 UK have recognized Hammerson as an “expert in project finance” and have stated that states that he specializes “in corporate and project work in the oil and gas, and power, industries. He has extensive experience of advising energy majors and independent energy companies in upstream and downstream oil and gas, and power.”
- Legal 500 2013 recognizes Mr. Hammerson as an “expert in project finance”.
- Legal 500 2011 recognizes Mr. Hammerson as an expert in energy and states that he specializes “in corporate and project work in the oil and gas, and power, industries. He has extensive experience of advising energy majors and independent energy companies in upstream and downstream oil and gas, and power”.
- IFLR 1000 names Mr. Hammerson as a leading energy lawyer and notes his stand-out experience for “closing deals in Lusophone, Francophone and Anglophone Africa”.