Matthew C. Nesburn is a member of the firm’s global project finance group. Mr. Nesburn represents companies engaged in the development, construction, financing, acquisition and disposition of solar, wind and other energy projects, as well as representing clients in all aspects of corporate structuring. He also represents clients in commercial real estate transactions.
Practice & Background
Mr. Nesburn provides advice on project design and transaction structuring at every phase of project development and financing, from project inception to equity investment to construction and permanent financing. He also provides advice on real estate aspects of the project development and finance transactions. He has significant experience representing developers and investors in the development, construction, financing, purchase, sale and leasing of commercial, industrial, mixed-use and multifamily real estate developments.
Mr. Nesburn is a member of the California State Bar and the Los Angeles County Bar Association Real Property Section.
Mr. Nesburn has:
- represented numerous sponsors and equity providers in tax equity financings of solar portfolios, providing counsel with respect to corporate structuring, equity investment structuring, construction and permanent debt facilities, as well as the acquisition and disposition of the underlying assets
- represented a large independent power producer in connection with the tax equity financing of
12 operating wind farms located in eight states with a combined capacity of 947 MW, monetizing future tax attributes that will be generated primarily by wind projects acquired out of bankruptcy
- represented a large independent power producer in connection with the PPA and real property rights negotiations with the offtaker and with tax equity financing of a portfolio of up to 64 commercial solar projects
- represented an international solar panel manufacturing and solar energy company in numerous tax equity joint venture partnerships and construction and term debt facilities
- represented a large independent power producer in connection with the acquisition of numerous solar projects as well as the tax equity financing and construction and term debt facilities for a portfolio of residential, commercial and utility scale solar projects
- represented an international solar company in connection with numerous residential and commercial tax equity transactions and in connection with “drop downs” into its yieldco
- represented a large independent power producer in connection with the formation and governing documents for its relationship with its yieldco subsidiary
- represented a solar company in the acquisition of a portfolio of community solar projects in MN
- represented the sponsors of a 110 MW concentrated solar power project in a tax equity transaction and in negotiations with DOE with respect to a loan guaranty
- represented the lender in permanent financing for a wind farm in Massachusetts
- represented various acquirers in the prospective purchase and/or purchase of large portfolios of wind energy and solar energy generation assets in North America
- represented the lender in an early-stage loan for the development of a utility-scale solar project in California
- represented the developer in the development and financing of a multiphase 1,500 MW wind energy generation project in California
- represented the developer in the development and financing of an 845 MW wind energy generation project in Oregon
- represented the acquirer in many aspects of an acquisition of a solar development company and its portfolio of utility-scale solar projects
- represented numerous developers in acquisition, leasing, power purchase and development matters for small-scale photovoltaic and utility-scale photovoltaic and concentrated solar energy projects in California and the southwestern United States
- represented the developer in connection with the real-property aspects of a utility-scale fuel cell energy generation project
- represented a lender in the financing of a wind energy generation project in Pennsylvania
- represented a private homebuilding company in its acquisition by a large public company
- represented the developer in the development of numerous luxury hotels throughout North America
- represented various investment funds in multiple joint ventures with developers for the acquisition and development of commercial, mixed-use and master-planned residential properties
- represented the master developer in all aspects of the acquisition, financing, development and sale to merchant builders of numerous large, master-planned residential communities in California
- represented clients in numerous purchase and sale transactions of office buildings in North America
- represented pension funds as investors in real estate opportunity funds
- represented developers in the structuring of real estate development and investment companies
- represented numerous investors and developers in workouts of real estate joint ventures.
Awards & Accolades
- Southern California Super Lawyers named Mr. Nesburn a Rising Star in 2012.
- Moderator “Investors’ Perspectives on the Market” – Infocast Projects & Money 2018
- Moderator “Quest for Low Cost Capital – Alternative Financing Vehicles” – Infocast Solar Mexico 2015
- Moderator “Energy Storage Finance & Investment” – Infocast 8th Annual Storage Week 2015
- Presenter “Opportunities in Solar PV Financing” – Intersolar North America 2014
- Presenter “Impacts of New Developments in Net Metering Laws in California” – Infocast California Energy Summit 2014
- Presenter “New Developments in Power Plant Siting in California – California Energy Summit 2013
- “Legislative Victories Promise Further Growth for Rooftop Solar in California” Project Finance NewsWire October 2013
- “The Start Of Carbon Cap-And-Trade In California,” Akin Gump’s Project Perspectives May 2012, Power Finance & Risk April 2012
- “Navigating California’s Williamson Act” North American WINDPOWER, October 2010
- “Gimme 5: What Every Lawyer Should Know About Title Insurance” Los Angeles County Bar Update February 2009
- Speaker “The Top Ten Legal Issues Facing Private Equity Investors Who Unwittingly Have Become Developers,” Los Angeles County Bar Association Meeting February 2009.