Michael J. Kliegman’s practice focuses on tax planning for mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring and private equity transactions.
Practice & Background
Mr. Kliegman joined Akin Gump after a long career as a partner in the New York Mergers & Acquisitions group at PricewaterhouseCoopers, where he specialized in due diligence, structuring business acquisitions and reorganizations. Prior to joining PwC, Mr. Kliegman worked at a law firm in Washington, D.C., specializing in structuring leveraged buyout transactions. Prior to entering private law practice, Mr. Kliegman spent several years in the IRS National Office, including the position of Group Chief, where he issued rulings on corporate acquisitions, reorganizations, bankruptcy and spin-offs.
Mr. Kliegman also serves as an Adjunct Professor at Fordham University Graduate School of Business and as an Adjunct Professor of Law at New York Law School and Villanova University School of Law.
Mr. Kliegman is involved in community, civic and charitable activities including:
- Chair, ABA Section of Business Law, Taxation Committee
- ABA Task Force on Acquisitions involving S Corporations
- ABA Section of Taxation, Committee on Corporate Tax
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- NY State Bar Association, Committee on Reorganizations
- Advisory Board, Bloomberg BNA Tax Management
- Advisory Board, Corporate Business Taxation Monthly
- Treasurer, Association for Corporate Growth NY Chapter
- Trustee, Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- National Council, AIPAC
- Contingent Liabilities in Merger and Acquisition Transactions, Chair and Presenter at Bloomberg BNA U.S. Taxation of Mergers & Acquisitions Conference, December 2015
- Tax Implications of Debt Restructuring, Troubled Portfolios, and Structuring New Deals, Presenter at Financial Research Associates Private Investment Funds Tax Master Class, May 2013
- FDIC-Assisted Deals: Managing Legal Issues for Acquirors and Owners of Troubled Banks, Chair and Presenter at ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Business Law, August 2010
- Private Equity Issues in the Current Market: Defaulting LPs, Carried Interest Renegotiation and Taxation of Carried Interest, Presenter at ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Business Law, August 2009
- Subchapter C and Consolidated Return Update, Tax Executives Institute – New York Chapter, Presenter at Annual Tax Symposium, December 2008
- Structuring the M&A Deal: Tax and Legal Considerations, Chair and Speaker at ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Business Law, August 2008