Ned E. Barlas concentrates his practice on heading up and supporting a variety of complex transactions where Intellectual Property (IP) is a driving force.
Practice & Background
Mr. Barlas’ practice is “technology agnostic,” handling matters across a wide range of industries and technologies, including software, hardware, semiconductor, telecommunications, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical instrumentation, nanotechnology, chemical processes, oil and gas production, process controls, consumer products, financial services, new-media content distribution, government contracts and university technology transfer.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Barlas served as senior vice president and general counsel of Axeda Systems Inc., a publicly held enterprise software company. Before that, Mr. Barlas was senior vice president and general counsel of Ravisent Technologies Inc., a publicly held provider of digital media software and hardware solutions to the personal computer and consumer electronics industries. Mr. Barlas was responsible for all aspects of the legal functions for Axeda and Ravisent, and provided strategic advice and counsel to senior management and the boards of directors. Before joining Ravisent, Mr. Barlas was in private practice, focusing on corporate and intellectual property transactional matters.
Mr. Barlas is active in the firm’s pro bono practice.
Mr. Barlas received his B.A. in economics from Swarthmore College in 1985 and his J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1990, where he served on the editorial board of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar and is designated as a Certified Licensing Professional (CLP).
Mr. Barlas’ recent representations include:
- structuring technology-sharing agreements on behalf of one of the world’s largest petroleum companies in connection with a multibillion-dollar, cross-border joint venture involving upstream oil and gas research and development
- negotiating the technology transfer aspects of a cross-border acquisition of a silicon wafer fab among parties in Russia, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States
- representing a commercial communications satellite start-up company in connection with the licensing and technology transfer of its core technology from one of the world’s largest government defense contractors
- structuring the sale of a division of an industry-leading software company to one of the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturers
- representing one of the world’s largest mobile device manufacturers in transactions with movie studios and wireless carriers for the distribution of video content via mobile devices
- representing a leading automobile manufacturer in connection with an agreement for the development and deployment of an automotive telematics program
- representing an industry-leading manufacturer of ink cartridges for commercial printers in connection with a license and manufacturing joint venture among Chinese, German and U.S. companies
- representing an investment fund in connection with its acquisition of a royalty stream from a university under a pharmaceutical patent license for a treatment of urologic disorders
- drafting and negotiating patent development and license agreements for various pharmaceutical products, including a novel drug for the treatment of endometriosis and a small molecule therapy to treat cancer and viral diseases
- drafting and negotiating a software license agreement on behalf of a multinational conglomerate to one of Mexico’s largest mobile phone service providers
- representing a multinational hedge fund in connection with its acquisition of a well-known consumer products company with a significant patent and trademark portfolio
- structuring and negotiating numerous complex patent litigation settlement agreements on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants.
Mr. Barlas is involved in community, civic and charitable activities that include being a:
- adjunct faculty member, Villanova University School of Law, teaching contract drafting
- trustee of Licensing Executives Society USA/Canada (LES)
- international delegate of Licensing Executives Society International (LESI)
- chair, LESI communications committee
- chair, LES software committee
- co-chair, LES 2012 Winter Meeting
- educational chair, LES Philadelphia Chapter
- chair, Advanced Technology & Computers Committee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- member, Mid-Atlantic District Export Council, by appointment of the U.S. Secretary of Commerce
- member, Standards Setting Committee and IP Licensing Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association
- member, Association of University Technology Managers
- member, Board of Directors for the America-Israel Chamber of Commerce (Central Atlantic Region).
Awards & Accolades
- Received the firm’s “Pro Bono Challenge” award, 2009-2012
- Named the pro bono attorney of the year in the firm’s Philadelphia office, 2011.
- Structuring and Negotiating Patent Litigation Settlements, Association of Corporate Counsel Greater Philadelphia/Delaware Valley’s Intellectual Property Law CLE Institute, July 15, 2015
- Patent Evaluation: Trends, Tools and Techniques, 2010 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society International, Sandton, South Africa, April 13, 2010
- Latest Directions in Patent Evaluation, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada), San Francisco, October 21, 2009
- Understanding Software Revenue Recognition, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada), San Francisco, October 20, 2009
- Business Drivers and Negotiation Strategies for Inbound and Outbound Licensing, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada), San Francisco October 19, 2009
- Evaluating Patents for Competitive Intelligence, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society International, Manila, Philippines, June 10, 2009
- Anatomy of an IP License, Fourteenth Annual Business Lawyers’ Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 12, 2008.