Ned E. Barlas concentrates his practice on structuring and negotiating complex intellectual property (IP)-driven transactions.
Practice & Background
Mr. Barlas’ practice is technology-agnostic, handling domestic and cross-border matters across a wide range of industries and technologies, including software, hardware, semiconductor, telecommunications, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical instrumentation, nanotechnology, building materials, oil and gas production, consumer products and financial services.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Barlas served as senior vice president and general counsel of Axeda Systems Inc., a publicly held enterprise software company, and as senior vice president and general counsel of Ravisent Technologies Inc., a publicly held licensor of software and hardware solutions to the personal computer and consumer electronics industries. Prior to joining Ravisent, Mr. Barlas was in private practice as a corporate and IP lawyer.
Mr. Barlas is active in the firm’s pro bono practice. In addition to representing nonprofit organizations in IP matters, Mr. Barlas is a volunteer advocate for the Support Center for Child Advocates, where he represents abused children in the Philadelphia Family Court. Mr. Barlas received the firm’s “Pro Bono Challenge” award from 2009 through 2016 and was named the pro bono lawyer of the year in the firm’s Philadelphia office in 2011.
Mr. Barlas received his J.D in 1990 from the University of Pennsylvania, where he served as comment editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He received his first B.A. in economics from Swarthmore College in 1985. He is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar and is designated as a Certified Licensing Professional.
During the course of his career, Mr. Barlas has represented clients in numerous transactions, including:
- representing one of the world’s largest petroleum companies in a multibillion-dollar, cross-border joint venture for upstream oil and gas research and development
- representing a Russian private equity company in a cross-border acquisition of a silicon wafer fab among parties in Russia, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States
- representing a commercial communications satellite start-up in connection with the licensing of its core technology from a leading government defense contractor
- representing a Chinese conglomerate in a cross-border license of technology for the design and installation of long-span industrial and commercial buildings
- representing an industry-leading software company in a spinoff to one of the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturers
- representing a leading mobile device manufacturer in transactions with movie studios and wireless carriers for the distribution of video content on its mobile devices
- representing a major automobile manufacturer in the development, deployment and licensing of an automotive telematics program
- representing an industry-leading printing-ink manufacturer in a joint venture among parties in China, Germany and the United States
- representing a multinational German conglomerate in the licensing of core technology to one of Mexico’s leading mobile phone service providers
- representing various investors and investment funds in connection with the acquisitions of royalty streams and IP asset-backed securities.
Mr. Barlas is involved in community activities, including:
- serving in various leadership roles in the Licensing Executive Society (United States and Canada) (LES) and the Licensing Executives Society International (LESI), including as LES trustee and vice president-international, international delegate to LESI, and chair of numerous LES and LESI committees
- serving as an adjunct faculty member at Villanova University School of Law, teaching contract drafting
- serving as chair at the Advanced Technology & Computers Committee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- serving as a member of the Mid-Atlantic District Export Council by appointment of the U.S. Secretary of Commerce
- serving on the Board of Directors of the America-Israel Chamber of Commerce (Central Atlantic Region).
- Structuring and Negotiating Patent Litigation Settlements, Association of Corporate Counsel Greater Philadelphia/Delaware Valley’s Intellectual Property Law CLE Institute, July 15, 2015
- Patent Evaluation: Trends, Tools and Techniques, 2010 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society International, Sandton, South Africa, April 13, 2010
- Latest Directions in Patent Evaluation, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society (United States and Canada), San Francisco, October 21, 2009
- Understanding Software Revenue Recognition, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society (United States and Canada), San Francisco, October 20, 2009
- Business Drivers and Negotiation Strategies for Inbound and Outbound Licensing, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society (United States and Canada), San Francisco, October 19, 2009
- Evaluating Patents for Competitive Intelligence, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Licensing Executives Society International, Manila, Philippines, June 10, 2009
- Anatomy of an IP License, 14th Annual Business Lawyers’ Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 12, 2008.