Patrick F. Rice is a partner in Akin Gump’s corporate practice. He focuses on the representation of private equity funds and their portfolio companies in mega-cap and middle-market transactions. Mr. Rice has extensive experience advising clients on transactions in the energy, infrastructure, transportation and shipping sectors.
Practice & Background
Mr. Rice routinely represents private equity sponsors, buyers, sellers and financial advisers in a wide variety of transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, restructurings, spin-offs, and joint ventures and other strategic alliances.
He has counseled issuers and investment banks in public securities offerings, and has advised clients in general corporate and securities matters, including securities law compliance, corporate governance issues, disclosure issues, stock repurchase programs, shareholder agreements, proxy contests, shareholder rights plans, and other corporate control matters.
Mr. Rice previously held several positions at Goldman Sachs & Co., including general counsel of the Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Investment Fund.
- Represented a music publishing and licensing company in its sale of interest to a major talent agency
- Represented a healthcare growth equity venture capital firm in its purchase of a biologics business
- Represented a manufacturer of packaging components in its sale to a private equity fund
- Represented a producer of orthopedic products in its acquisition of certain international assets of a biologics business
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in its purchase of two pharmaceutical companies
- Represented an investment manager in the sale of a biomass power plant in Northern California that was powered by timber industry waste (woodchips) to an alternative energy focused private equity fund
- Represented a retiring founding partner of a more than $6 billion registered investment adviser that advises high net-worth individuals and families in a planned recapitalization and equity sale.
- Represented a registered investment adviser that invests in the outcome of lawsuits and settlements, in an investment of up to $100 million by two well-known hedge funds
- Represented a West African-based insurance company, and selling shareholders, in a sale of significant minority to a Moroccan conglomerate.
- Represented a New York-based regional bank in connection with its acquisition of three other New York-area regional banks.
- Represented a British energy and services company in its purchase of two retail electric providers from an investor-owned electric utility
- Represented a public utility company in its sale of its interest in a natural gas pipeline system to a Calgary-based energy company
- Represented an integrated energy company in its sale of a pipeline company to a utility and energy resources company
- Represented the special committee of an energy company in connection with their planned sale of the company to a private equity fund
- Represented a Florida-based power company in connection with the separation of their merchant power business
- Represented a natural gas utilities holding company in the planned sale of their commodities trading business
- Represented a provider of electric services and natural gas in connection with the planned divestiture of fossil fuel plants related to their merger with a major utility company
- Represented an energy services provider in their merger with a multinational electricity and gas utility company
- Represented an electric and gas utility company in their merger with a utility
- Represented an energy services provider in the divestiture of their generation assets (5100 MW)
- Represented an electric and gas utility company in the divestiture of their generation assets
- Represented a public utility company in their planned sale of their generation assets