Peter A. Emmi is a lead lawyer in the firm’s IP transactions group.
Practice & Background
Mr. Emmi has extensive experience advising corporate clients regarding mergers, acquisitions, spinoffs and complex IP transactional matters. Mr. Emmi also has extensive experience litigating complex IP matters, with a focus on patent litigation involving technology in the electrical engineering arts.
Mr. Emmi handles cases for clients in diverse fields, including those involved in Internet technology, telecommunications, computer hardware and software, microelectronics, biotechnology, medical devices, solar technology, and defense and aerospace equipment.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Emmi was an intellectual property lawyer at a premier law firm based in New York.
Mr. Emmi was named a New York Rising Star by Super Lawyers in 2014 and 2015. He is co-author of a book on patent law published by the Practising Law Institute titled Intellectual Property Law Answer Book, which is currently in its fifth edition.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Emmi gained more than three years’ experience as a lead negotiator for IP licenses and agreements for IBM in the intellectual property and licensing group of IBM’s headquarters division and more than 15 years’ experience as an engineer and manager for IBM in the microelectronics division, during which time he performed such tasks as card-level electronics design and testing, software development, and semiconductor research and development.
Mr. Emmi is an inventor on several patents, including U.S. Patent Nos. 6,488,778, 6,387,754, 6,278,147, 6,268,621, 6,178,660 and 6,758,223, and associated foreign counterparts.
Mr. Emmi received a B.S. in 1988 and an M.S. in 1990 in electrical engineering, both from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and a J.D. cum laude from Pace Law School in 2004.
The following is a list of Mr. Emmi’s representative matters:
- represented a finance company based in the United Kingdom in the evaluation and recommendations regarding a license-in of software from a U.S.-based company
- represented a Russian investment company in the performance of U.S.-related IP due diligence to inform the investment decision in a media company located in Cyprus, Russia and the United States
- represented a premier company in the area of remote monitoring and control of home-based systems in its filing of inter partes review petitions
- represented a sporting goods company in its acquisition of a hydration products company
- represented one of the largest printer and consulting companies in the spin off of its IT businesses around the world to a French company
- represented a holding company in the negotiation of a credit agreement using the IP rights associated with a large library of music as the primary collateral
- represented a large international spirits distillery and seller as IP counsel in an asset swap deal with another large international spirits distillery and seller
- represented an international engineering company with a diversified product portfolio in the negotiation of a revolving credit agreement using IP as the primary collateral
- represented a large aerospace and munitions company as IP counsel in the spin-off of its sporting goods business and its merger with another aerospace company.
- represented one of the largest multinational telecommunications companies in its defense against assertion of several downconverting receiver patents
- represented a large investment holding company in its equity investment in an international designer and seller of clothing and accessories, including performing worldwide due diligence and assessment of risk associated with Chinese trademark squatters
- represented a New York-based international publisher in the sale of its Mexican magazine and website publishing company to a Latin American private equity firm and its contemporaneous purchase of a U.K.-based magazine company from a global media and entertainment conglomerate
- represented a prestigious U.S.-based university in the drafting and negotiation of an intellectual property agreement with a prestigious U.K. university
- represented one of the largest computer companies in the acquisition of an off shore software company relating to a cloud-based system for testing middleware
- represented a bio fuel developer in a trade secret action against a competitor that hired its key researcher and drafted and assisted in negotiation of the associated settlement agreement
- represented an off shore financial services company in its sale of a software-based online insurance business to a large insurance company
- represented one of the largest multinational telecommunications semiconductor developers in its acquisition of a pre-eminent WiFi/Bluetooth semiconductor developer
- represented a pre-eminent food conglomerate in the spin off of its frozen pizza business to a transnational food company
- represented a private equity firm in its development of a patent portfolio and the subsequent negotiation and sale of the portfolio
- represented a synthetic floor designer and seller in the drafting and negotiating of the settlement agreement, including a patent license with another synthetic floor designer and seller
- represented a pre-eminent cardiovascular stent developer in a series of arbitrations with another stent developer
- represented a telephone-based speech recognition software company against assertion of several patents by a multinational computer software technology corporation
- represented a multinational conglomerate in its defense against assertion of several interactive voice response system patents
- represented a multinational health care products company in defense against a motion for a TRO involving technology relating to tooth-whitening technology
- represented a telephone-based speech recognition software company against assertion of several patents by a multinational computer software technology corporation, and drafted and negotiated the settlement agreement
- represented a large engineering conglomerate in its defense against assertion of a circuit patent directed toward arc-fault circuit interrupter technology, and drafted and negotiated the settlement agreement
- represented a multinational pharmaceutical company in its defense against an ANDA lawsuit brought by several generic pharmaceutical companies
- represented one of the largest computer companies in the drafting and negotiation of a patent cross-license agreement with a pre-eminent video graphics processor semiconductor developer.
- a member of the American Bar Association
- a member of the New York City Bar Association
- a member of the New York State Bar Association
- a member of the New York Intellectual Property Law Association
Awards & Accolades
- named a Rising Star in Super Lawyers’ annual list of leading lawyers in New York for Intellectual Property, 2014-2015.
- presenter, “Patent Drafting and Prosecution: A Trial Lawyer’s Perspective” and clinic instructor, Practicing Law Institute Fundamentals of Patent Prosecution 2015: A Boot Camp for Claim Drafting & Amendment Writing (June 17, 2016)
- co-teacher, “Copyright Litigation Externship,” Columbia Law School, (2013-2015)
- presenter, “Update on Important U.S. Patent Law,” AMT Patent Strategy Seminar at Anderson Mori in Tokyo, Japan (May 15, 2012).