Rebekah M. Jones is counsel in the firm’s investment funds practice. Her practice focuses on assisting clients on a broad range of corporate, securities, regulatory and compliance issues.
Practice & Background
Ms. Jones counsels clients, including sovereign wealth investors, private equity firms, multinational corporations (MNCs), and other investors operating globally, with international investment decisions and related corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, securities regulation and other strategic transactions. She regularly conducts due diligence reviews on international trade and other regulatory related issues during M&A and divestitures, including private equity transactions.
Ms. Jones also advises clients with regard to U.S. national security-based foreign investment restrictions administered by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). In addition to her transactional practice, she advises clients on various compliance-related issues, such as conducting internal investigations and responding to government investigations; developing and implementing compliance policies and procedures; and developing, implementing and conducting training related to compliance programs.
Previously, Ms. Jones was resident in Akin Gump’s Singapore office for four years. During this time, she advised U.S. private equity funds and other investors on issues related to various transactions in India, China, Malaysia, Australia and other Asia-Pacific locations.
Prior to joining Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, Ms. Jones received her J.D. with honors from The George Washington University Law School, where she was a member of The George Washington International Law Review.
Ms. Jones’s representative matters include:
- advising a sovereign wealth fund in its potential investment in the U.S. entertainment industry
- providing advice and counsel to a sovereign wealth fund related to its CFIUS strategy
- analyzing potential CFIUS implications and successfully managing CFIUS review of various mergers and divestitures in the aerospace and defense industry
- conducting due diligence for a private equity firm concerning anticorruption and trade-related matters for investments in India, China and Malaysia, and evaluation of compliance policies
- representing a global real estate private equity firm in establishing FCPA compliance procedures and providing training related to FCPA compliance
- developing and providing FCPA and other regulatory compliance trainings to a sovereign wealth fund focused on investments in various industries, such as aerospace, infrastructure and real estate
- representing a non-U.S. energy and infrastructure company in connection with a World Bank investigation relating to a contract for a project in an African nation
- representing a multinational beverage company on internal investigations regarding joint ventures and subsidiaries located in Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
- “ITAR Enforcement,” Export Compliance Training Institute Seminar Series, U.S. Export Controls on Non-US Transactions, May 23, 2017 (Singapore)
- “Managing Legal and Reputational Risk in Global Business Transactions: Lessons and Trends in International Trade Enforcement and Corporate Social Responsibility,” American Chamber of Commerce, February 4, 2016 (Singapore)
- S. Department of State’s Export Control and Related Border Security Program Seminar, September 2, 2015 (Singapore)
- “Enforcement and Investigation: Understanding Trends and Responding to Non-Compliance,” Defense Exports Asia Pacific, SMI Group, May 11, 2015 (Singapore)
- “ITAR Enforcement,” US ITAR Defense Trade Controls Seminar, Export Compliance Training Institute, March 13, 2015 (Singapore)
- “Managing U.S. Export Requirements as a Non-U.S. Entity: Understanding and Mitigating Compliance Risks,” Joint Industry Outreach Seminar on Strategic Trade Management, jointly hosted by Singapore Customs, the U.S. Bureau of Industry and Security and the U.S. Export Control and Related Border Security, December 4, 2014 (Singapore)
- “EAR and OFAC Enforcement,” EAR/OFAC Commercial Export Controls & Embargoes, Export Compliance Training Institute, March 11, 2014 (Singapore).