- Co-head of Akin Gump’s nationally-renowned Supreme Court and Appellate practice.
- More than 150 appellate arguments in federal and state courts throughout the country.
Rex Heinke, a seasoned appellate litigator, has briefed hundreds of appeals, writs and substantive trial court motions in nearly every facet of civil law. He has made more than 150 appellate arguments in federal and state courts throughout the country. These cases have involved a wide range of federal and state issues.
- Represented one of the world’s leading casual dining restaurant companies, in a wage-and-hour class action. In a long-anticipated ruling that resolved the legal standards to be applied to California meal period and rest break class actions, the California Supreme Court ruled that employers must provide employees with meal breaks, but are not obligated to ensure that they do no work during such breaks. For more information about this landmark case, see here.
- Represented a large retail company in the New York Court of Appeals and the 2nd Circuit in challenges to tipping policies; summary judgment for client was affirmed on all claims. Also obtained a reversal of a more than $100 million judgment against the same company for alleged tipping violations.
- Represented a large accounting firm in successful 2nd Circuit and 9th Circuit dismissals of class action claims and orders compelling arbitration of the plaintiff’s individual claims challenging classification of accountants.
- Represented a major insurance company in the California Supreme Court and the 9th Circuit securing rulings that there was no insurance coverage because no claim for disparagement was pleaded.
- Represented a major insurance company in the 7th Circuit obtaining a complete reversal of a $27 million judgment for defamation and violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Public Service and Affiliations