Robert H. Hotz, Jr. is co-head of the firm’s New York litigation section and focuses on complex criminal and civil litigation.
Practice & Background
Mr. Hotz, a former federal prosecutor, represents individuals and corporations in white collar matters and related civil litigation. Prior to joining Akin Gump in 2004, Mr. Hotz served for more than five years as a prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and was a member of the Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force. He was co-lead prosecutor in the successful insider trading prosecutions arising out of the leak of the U.S. Treasury Department’s decision to suspend issuance of the 30-year bond.
Mr. Hotz is a member of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers and the New York State Bar Association Committee on White Collar Criminal Litigation. He has written and spoken on developments in white collar crime.
Mr. Hotz’s recent matters include:
- defending the former Chief Financial Officer of a financial services firm in government investigations and parallel civil litigation
- defending current and former executives of a major global financial services company in a DOJ, CFTC and FSA investigation regarding the London InterBank Offered Rate (“Libor”)
- representing employees of a Fortune 500 company in an SEC investigation into certain accounting practices in the U.S. and Europe
- defending the retired vice chairman of Tax of a big-three accounting firm in a criminal tax shelter prosecution
- representing executives of a global financial services provider in an investigation concerning possible violations of U.S. sanctions
- representing hedge funds in insider trading investigations brought by the DOJ and SEC
- representing employees of an interdealer broker in an SEC investigation concerning trading practices
- representing the former head of exploration and production of a leading energy company in a DOJ, SEC and FSA investigation of its accounting for petroleum reserves
- representing executives of a Fortune 50 pharmaceutical wholesaler in an SEC/DOJ investigation and parallel shareholder litigation
- representing a former executive of a mining and resource company in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) investigation by the DOJ and SEC.
Mr. Hotz is a member of the board of directors of the New York Lawyers for the Public Interest.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: White Collar & Government Investigations (2013-2015)
- The Best Lawyers in America - Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2013-2015)
- Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Business Litigation (2013-2014)
- Moderated a panel titled “Responding to a Cybersecurity Breach” at Akin Gump’s “The Cybersecurity Pandemic” in New York City.
- Moderated a panel on Insider Trading at the PLI White Collar 2013 Seminar: Prosecutors and Regulators Speak at the PLI New York Center in New York City.
- Moderated a panel titled “A New Facet to the Special Relationship: Cooperation in White Collar Investigations Between the U.S. and U.K.” at the PLI White Collar 2012 Seminar: Prosecutors and Regulators Speak at the PLI New York Center in New York City.
- Moderated a panel titled “Unconventional Investigative Techniques in White Collar Cases: Wiretaps, Search Warrants and Others” at the PLI White Collar 2011 Seminar: Prosecutors and Regulators Speak at the PLI New York Center in New York City.
- Participated in panel titled “Hedge Your Bets: Why Are Hedge Funds the Object of the Feds’ Desires?” at ABA’s Sixth Annual National Institute on Securities Fraud, November 2011 in New Orleans, LA.
- Moderated a panel titled “Effective Use of Evidence in White Collar Investigations and Litigation” at PLI White Collar 2009 Seminar: Prosecutors and Regulators Speak at the PLI New York Center in New York City.