Robert K. Huffman is a leader of Akin Gump’s Government Contracts practice. Mr. Huffman represents defense, health care and other companies in contract matters and in disputes with the federal government and with other contractors. He has extensive experience litigating contract and related issues in the Court of Federal Claims, the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals, the federal district courts, and the Federal Circuit and other federal appellate courts. He also represents clients in bid protests.
Practice & Background
A major part of Mr. Huffman’s practice involves helping companies defend against investigations, prosecutions and civil suits alleging fraud and false claims. He has represented clients in over a dozen False Claims Act qui tam suits. He also represents and advises companies in connection with parallel criminal proceedings, suspension and debarment, and other issues associated with fraud/false claims investigations and litigation.
Mr. Huffman also represents and advises companies in intellectual property matters involving government contracts, grants, CRADAs and other transactions. He has extensive experience with the government contract rules relating to intellectual property, including government patent rights, technical data rights, rights in computer software and the rules applicable to intellectual property in the acquisition of commercial items and services.
Mr. Huffman speaks and writes extensively on Government Contracts and related issues and is an adjunct professor at the Georgetown University Law Center, where he was recently honored with the Charles Fahy Distinguished Adjunct Professor Award.
Mr. Huffman is or has been involved in numerous community, civic and charitable activities that include:
- Chairing the Procurement Fraud Committee of the ABA Section of Public Contract Law
- Chairing the Research and Development/Intellectual Property Committee of the ABA Section of Public Contract Law
- Serving on the Advisory Council of the Federal Circuit.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2010, 2011, 2012, 2016 and 2017) - government contracts
- The Legal 500 – government contracts (2017)
- Awarded the Charles Fahy Distinguished Adjunct Professor Award by Georgetown University School of Law (2015)
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal in the category of “Government Contracts” (2015-2016)
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal – Compendium Edition (2016-2017)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer (2014-2016)
- Recognized by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell as “2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property.”