Shawn Davis practices energy law focusing on large oil, gas, petrochemicals, renewables and power and water projects. He has extensive experience drafting and negotiating a broad array of energy, construction and other project agreements. Mr. Davis is recognized in the Chambers Global (2015) rankings for projects & energy Middle East-wide and Iraq general business law (desks based abroad), The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) (2015) rankings for energy & infrastructure, construction and corporate and M&A, and The Legal 500 EMEA (2014) rankings for projects & energy, as well as construction.
Practice & Background
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Davis worked for four years in the Abu Dhabi office of a leading U.S. law firm, where he advised on a broad range of energy, infrastructure and industrial projects and corporate matters. He also previously worked at a leading Canadian law firm, where he represented banks in connection with energy company financings and advised on energy regulatory matters.
Mr. Davis completed joint LL.B./M.B.A. degrees at the University of Calgary, where he received the Frederick and Marguerite Hulme Scholarship for the joint LL.B./M.B.A. program and where he was elected to the Beta Gamma Sigma international honors society upon completion of his M.B.A. studies. In 2009, he completed an executive corporate governance program at Harvard Business School.
Mr. Davis is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and as a solicitor and barrister in the Law Society of Alberta. He is also a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
Mr. Davis’ engagements include representing:
Midstream, LNG, Ports, and Terminals
- the offtaker in relation to a project for the import of LNG cargo from international energy markets and the supply of more than one billion cubic feet/day of natural gas
- the offtaker in relation to the offtake of gas from a planned floating storage regasification unit
- a Middle East national oil company in relation to the renegotiation with its co-venturers of Abu Dhabi Gas Industries Limited (GASCO) natural gas processing concession involving the expansion and operation of four plants for the extraction of natural gas liquids (NGLs), together with the associated pipeline network
- a developer of an oil products storage and bunkering terminal facility at Port Said, Egypt
- a construction manager in the development of an oil pipeline in southern Iraq
- a developer of a crude oil pipeline, including advising on technology licensing matters
- a developer in Egypt of offshore and onshore pipelines, an offshore oil platform and onshore processing facility
- a developer of a natural gas pipeline from Taweelah to Fujairah, United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.)
- a developer in its gas processing plant and cross-border pipeline network project in Qatar and the U.A.E.
Oil and Gas – Downstream/Refineries
- a GCC developer in relation to process licensing matters for its planned refinery with an anticipated processing capacity of 200,000 barrels of oil per day
- a developer in its US$3.7 billion financing for the redevelopment of its oil refinery in Egypt
- a developer in its crude oil and condensate refining and granulated sulphur projects in Abu Dhabi
- a developer in the expansion of an ethylene and polyethylene plant at Ruwais, Abu Dhabi
- a global chemicals company in the design and construction of a world-scale integrated petrochemicals complex to be located in Saudi Arabia
- a developer in its chemicals industrial city project at Abu Dhabi
- a developer of an oil refinery at Mostorod, Egypt
- International Petroleum Investment Company in its acquisition of a 20 percent stake in Cosmo Energy
- lenders in the financing of a major polymer production project at Yanbu, Saudi Arabia
- a major international energy company in relation to its development of a supergiant oil field in the Middle East
- a developer of the drilling and development of a large sour gas reservoir in the GCC
- an investor in an oil and gas block in the autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq
- a GCC drilling company in its procurement of onshore and offshore oil drilling rigs
- an oilfield services company in its bid to provide coiled tubing intervention tools and services to a GCC oil company to enhance reservoir performance
- a U.S. oilfield services company in relation to commercial arrangements for the provision of specialist drilling services (including directional drilling, logging while drilling and measurements while drilling) and proprietary drilling tools and methods in various international locations
- an oilfield services firm in its acquisition of Precision Drilling Corp.'s Energy Services Division and International Contract Drilling Division in a cash and stock deal worth US$2.28 billion
Power and Water
- a buyer of a 50 percent interest in the 205.5 MW wind project located in the midwestern U.S. from Électricité de France SA
- a developer of a 200 MW gas-fired power plant in the West Bank of the Palestinian Territories
- a developer in the development of a 100 MW photovoltaic plant
- a developer in the planned conversion of two existing gas-fired power generating facilities located in the GCC, from single cycle mode to combined cycle mode by the installation of waste heat recovery boilers, steam turbines and related infrastructure
- a major utility in the U.A.E. on corporate commercial, government procurement, policy and regulatory matters, such as EPC, interconnection, cooperation and strategic alliance, power transmission and service agreements, asset transfer transactions, smart-grid and renewables initiatives and corporate governance
- a large European construction company in its bid for a build, own, operate and transfer (BOOT) project for the design, construction, finance, and operation and maintenance of two wastewater complexes in Abu Dhabi
- a lead bank in connection with a CDN$144 million wind power project financing located in Manitoba, Canada
Projects – Other Industries
- a key governmental stakeholder in relation to the development of four nuclear power plants
- a lender on a CDN$352 million credit facility in relation to the development of the Nunavik nickel project in northern Quebec, Canada
- a developer of a US$1.2 billion ammonia (2,000 MTPD) and urea plant (3,500 MTPD) project in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
- a developer in the expansion (doubling the capacity) of its existing Urea Plant at Ruwais, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
- a global metals company in the planned development of a smelter project in Ruwais, Abu Dhabi
- a contractor in a project to build a new city in Iraq, which will consist of housing units and related key infrastructure as part of the mission of the National Investment Commission of the Republic of Iraq (NIC) to build up to one million houses
- Abu Dhabi Airports Company in the development of the Abu Dhabi International Airport
- an international school in connection with its expansion project.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers Global (2015) recognizes Mr. Davis in the area of projects & energy Middle East-wide stating that client’s remark on his "very precise and to-the-point advice and extremely quick turnaround.”
- Chambers Global (2015) recognizes Mr. Davis in the area of Iraq general business law (desks based abroad) noting “Abu Dhabi-based Shawn Davis is a key contact for Iraq work. He has been active in oil and gas and construction projects in the country.”
- The Legal 500 EMEA (2015) recognizes Mr. Davis in the area of construction and clients state that he is “very good at finding solutions.”
- The Legal 500 EMEA (2015) recognizes Mr. Davis in the area of energy & infrastructure indicating that he is a “name to note.”
- The Legal 500 EMEA (2015) recommends Mr. Davis in the area of corporate and M&A.
- The Legal 500 EMEA (2014) describes Mr. Davis as an oil and gas specialist who is “commercially pragmatic, very thorough and has a deep understanding of local law.”
- The Legal 500 EMEA (2014) recognizes Mr. Davis in the area of construction and states that he is “extremely responsive to client needs and a very thorough lawyer.”
- Presented on the topic of Contracting Strategies for the Middle East Petrochemicals Industry at the MEED Middle East Petrochemicals Conference in March 2013
- Presented on the topic of Mega Petrochemicals Projects in Saudi Arabia at the MEED Middle East Petrochemicals Conference in March 2012
- Moderated a panel titled Evolution and Future Potential of the IPP and IWPP Market in the Middle East Region at the MEED 15th Annual Middle East Project Finance Conference in January 2012
- Guest lecturer at Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi on the topic of International Law in 2011