- Handles legal reform across a broad range of industries.
- Provides public policy counsel before a variety of congressional committees.
- Served as counsel to the House Judiciary Committee and its Crime Subcommittee.
In recent years, Smith Davis (Smitty) has focused his practice on both legal reform issues and issues related to natural gas pipelines. He has been most active in four areas of legal reform: false claims, asbestos tort reform, litigation funding and antitrust. His work with respect to pipelines has centered on multiemployer pension policy and environmental issues.
- Representing one of the world’s premier voice, video and data communications companies before the House and Senate Judiciary committees in matters involving telecommunications issues.
- Advising consumer lending companies in bankruptcy reform legislation.
- Assisting a variety of companies and a major trade association with regard to False Claims Act, corporate speech and other legal policy issues.
- Providing advice to foreign and domestic investment houses and commercial banks, consumer lending companies and private equity firms on issues including mergers and acquisitions and bank holding company and securities law reform.
- In work involving the House Education and House Workforce committees, addressing pension reform issues related to multi-employer pension plans.
Public Service and Affiliations