Practice & Background
Dr. Stefan Gehrlein has a wide range of experience in financial restructurings and structured and specialized financings, including acquisition financings, real estate financings, project and export financings, loan syndications and securitizations as well as factoring structures. His current focus is on corporate and financial restructurings of troubled German and other European companies.
In recent years, he has worked with noteholders and other creditors, debtors and sponsors on complex cross-border restructurings and restructurings of real estate financings. His clients comprise, in particular, funds, insurance companies and credit institutions.
During his career, Mr. Gehrlein has worked in Frankfurt and London and has been seconded to the London office of a leading investment bank. He has authored publications on the enforcement of German law security interests and the sale and transfer of credit portfolios.
Dr. Gehrlein’s recent engagements include:
- advising the senior ad-hoc co-ordinating committee of first lien lenders regarding the financial restructuring of Klöckner Pentaplast group
- advising the junior lenders in connection with the restructuring of a portfolio financing of commercial real estate properties located in Germany
- advising the sponsor in connection with the restructuring of a portfolio financing of commercial and multifamily real estate properties located in Germany
- advising the ultimate equity owner of a group of multifamily real estate companies in Germany in connection with the refinancing of mezzanine and senior term loans
- advising Norsk Tillitsmann ASA (on behalf of bondholders) in connection with the restructuring of Sevan Marine group
- advising creditor groups of institutional investors in the restructuring of Uralita SA
- advising the servicer of the Highstreet securitized senior loan facility in connection with the financial restructuring and insolvency proceeding of Karstadt
- advising noteholders in connection with numerous private placements
- advising the investor in connection with the securitization of a true sale factoring of car dealer loan receivables
- advising the sponsor in connection with several acquisition financings regarding commercial real estate located in Germany
- advising a leading German commercial bank in connection with its participation in the granting of a syndicated loan facility for the acquisition financing of an industrial area by way of a sale and lease back structure
- advising a leading German commercial bank in connection with several project financings, including the construction and operation of a wind farm in Croatia and two photovoltaic plants in Spain
- advising a leading German commercial bank in connection with ECA-covered export financings of mobile telecommunication systems in Africa and their subsequent refinancing.
- “Banking Secrecy and Data Protection in Connection with Credit Portfolio Sales,” Institute for Law and Finance of the Frankfurt Goethe University (ILF) conference titled, M&A in the Banking Sector, Frankfurt, 2013