Practice & Background
Stuart Sinclair is a tax partner in the firm’s London office. He advises on all aspects of corporate tax, focusing on domestic and international restructurings and reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, structured finance arrangements and financial instruments.
Mr. Sinclair also advises on tax aspects of a broad range of investment fund matters, including the formation of funds and asset management businesses, and the structuring of transactions entered into by funds.
Mr. Sinclair is recommended in leading industry publications, including Chambers UK, Chambers Europe and Chambers Global.
Mr. Sinclair’s recent engagements include:
- represented the noteholders on the €1.3 billion financial restructuring of the Quinn Group, one of the largest multijurisdictional corporate groups in Ireland
- advised a U.S.-based distressed debt firm in connection with the restructuring of £500 million of debt in Crest Nicholson Holdings Limited, the parent of one of the U.K.’s largest house builder groups
- advising a worldwide bondholder group in respect of the nationalization and restructuring of three major Icelandic banks—Kaupthing, Landsbanki and Glitnir
- advised the mezzanine consortium, headed by Apollo, Cerberus, Park Square Capital and Goldman Sachs, on the £2.6 billion restructuring of Britain’s largest betting and gaming group, the Gala Coral Group
- advised an ad hoc committee of senior secured noteholders on the debt restructuring and English law administration sale of Wind Hellas, a Greek telecommunications company
- advised a group of senior lenders on the financial restructuring of Monier, a German roofing company
- advised Grandtop International Holdings Limited, the offeror, on the acquisition by way of a public takeover of U.K.-based Birmingham City Football Club
- advised Japan-based Sumitomo Precision Products Co. Ltd. in its $56.6 million acquisition of Aviza Technology Inc., a semiconductor equipment producer headquartered in California
- advised the noteholders on the financial restructuring of Technicolor S.A. (formerly Thomson S.A.), a French media company
- advising on fund formations
- advising banks on derivatives and investment products
- advising on lease financing arrangements
- advising on domestic and cross-border structured financing transactions
- acting for insurers of transactional tax exposure
- representing taxpayers on HMRC enquiries and tax litigation.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers UK, Tax, 2013–2017
- Chambers Global, Tax, 2013–2017
- Chambers Europe, Tax, 2013–2017
- Best Lawyers UK, Tax, 2014–2017
- Panelist, “From Frustration to Deal Facilitation: The New Breed of Transactional Insurance Products & How They Can Assist You,” Protean Risk’s Transactional Finance Seminar, London, 2014
- Speaker, “Debt Restructuring, R3’s Tax & Insolvency Training Conference,” Birmingham and London, 2013