Suren E. Gortsunyan specializes in advising both domestic and international companies on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, private equity transactions, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. His clients include companies in the real estate, retail and consumer, telecommunications, oil services, financial services and industrial sectors.
Practice & Background
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Gortsunyan was a partner with an international law firm in Moscow.
Mr. Gortsunyan has extensive experience participating in legislative initiatives for the Russian Federation in the area of corporate and securities laws and has acted as an advisor to the Federal Commission on the Securities Market of the Russian Federation (currently the Bank of Russia). Mr. Gortsunyan was also a co-author to the commentary to the Russian Federal Law “On Insolvency (Bankruptcy),” STATUT, 1998).
Mr. Gortsunyan’s engagements include:
- advising Russian investment company O1 Group on the sale of 12 percent of the total issued share capital in O1 Properties Limited by O1 Group subsidiary Centimila to a leading international bank for a consideration of $200 million and advising O1 Group on a related secured financing
- advising Finstar, a major Russian financial group, on the acquisition and following disposal of Rive Gauche, a major premium perfume retail chain
- advising O1 Properties in connection with legal issues relating to the financing of the acquisition of the Business Center known as “Silver City”
- advising O1 Properties on the acquisition of Lesnaya Plaza
- advising the consortia of shareholders on the disposal of Mosmart
- advising Otkritie Financial Corporation on the disposal of its strategic stake to VTB
- advising the shareholders of Mosmart on its restructuring transaction with Sberbank
- advising the Alfa-Access-Renova consortium on the amendment and restatement of the shareholders’ agreement for TNK-BP
- advising the independent directors committee of Norilsk Nickel on the buy-back of shares and various corporate transactions
- advising ING on the disposal of its Russian pension funds business to Aviva
- advising Finstar on its acquisition of Rive Gauche
- advising the joint venture consortium led by Otkritie Financial Corporation and Deutsche Bank AG Real Estate Group on the Vivaldi Plaza development project in Moscow
- advising Altimo on various corporate matters and in connection with management of its key investments
- advising Geotech on the private placement of its shares to institutional investors
- advising Finstar on its disposal of Baltic Trust Bank (Latvia) to GE
- advising Altimo on its $1.5 billion financing from Deutsche Bank secured by Russian shares and further refinancing of this loan with VEB
- advising Lebedyansky on its IPO and related issues
- advising Power Machines on the secondary public offering of its shares.
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers 2018 – ranked among top Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, Capital Markets and Private Equity lawyers in Russia
- The Best Lawyers 2008-2017 – ranked among top Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity lawyers in Russia
- Chambers Europe 2009, 2010, 2012-2017 – ranked for Corporate/M&A work
- Chambers Global 2009, 2010, 2012-2017 – ranked for Corporate/M&A work
- Legal 500 EMEA 2017 - ranked for Commercial/Corporate/M&A and Real Estate/Construction work.