Terrence R. Allen is a member of the firm’s corporate practice and focuses on mergers and acquisitions and other complex transactions.
Practice & Background
Mr. Allen has more than two decades of experience representing private equity funds, public and private companies, and leading entrepreneurs in their most important and sophisticated transactions, including public and private mergers, asset acquisitions and dispositions (including “carve-out” transactions), joint ventures and venture capital investments. He has experience advising on initial and secondary equity offerings, debt financings, corporate reorganizations and leveraged recapitalizations. Mr. Allen also advises clients on corporate governance and disclosure matters.
Mr. Allen has conducted extensive market research relating to private M&A transactions. In 2003, he conceived and led the development of one of the earliest and most comprehensive "deal points" studies to achieve circulation in the marketplace. The study involved the analysis of more than 250 acquisition agreements pertaining to closed private M&A transactions in more than two dozen industries to determine the prevalence of approximately 70 different provisions often included in these agreements. More recently, he conceived and led an exhaustive and groundbreaking study of indemnity claims in private M&A transactions. Drawing from this extensive research, Mr. Allen is a frequent lecturer on indemnification and related private M&A practice topics.
Mr. Allen also served as an editor of the Lexis-Nexis M&A Practice Guide.
Health Care and Life Sciences Transactions
- Allergan Inc. in its acquisition of MAP Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAPP)
- Allergan Inc. in its acquisition of SkinMedica, Inc.
- Allergan Inc. in its acquisition of Aline Aesthetics LLC
- Allergan Inc. in its acquisition of Exemplar Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- I-Flow Corporation (NASDAQ: IFLO) in its acquisition by an affiliate of Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- An affiliate of Teleflex Inc. in its acquisition of Hudson Respiratory Care, Inc.
- Seracare, Inc. in various M&A and commercial transactions
- MDT Corporation in various M&A and commercial transactions.
Media and Entertainment Transactions
- Governmentjobs.com in its acquisition of FirstNet Learning, Inc.
- A consortium of private investors in their acquisition of the San Diego Padres Major League Baseball Club, and in the structuring and negotiation of a related media rights deal
- Roxio, Inc. in its acquisition of Napster, Inc.
- Interactive Media Holdings, Inc. in its acquisition of Myspace Inc. from News Corp.
- Interactive Media Holdings, Inc. in its acquisition of Broadband Enterprises, Inc.
- Certain stockholders of Edwards Theaters in connection with the acquisition of Edwards Theaters by Regal Entertainment Group
- GOOD Worldwide, Inc. in its acquisition of Cloud Tiger Media, Inc.
- Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. in its acquisition of a talent management and entertainment content production and development company.
Technology and Telecommunications Transactions
- Skyview Capital in its sale of Syncplicity Inc. to Axway, Inc.
- Skyworks Solutions, Inc. in various “carve-out” asset acquisitions
- Memorex International Inc. in its corporate sale
- Western Digital, Inc. in various acquisitions
- Procom Technology Inc. in various acquisitions
- Macneal-Schwendler Corporation in the sale of its electronics business unit
- Automobile Club of Southern California in an international technology joint venture
- WorldxChange Communications in various acquisitions and in the sale of the company to World Access, Inc.
- Jeta Power Systems, Inc. in its sale to Computer Products, Inc.
- An affiliate of Invensys Plc in its acquisition of InduSoft, Inc.
Food, Beverage and Consumer-Branded Transactions
- The Farmer John Companies in their sale to Hormel Foods Corp.
- United Food Group, Inc. in its sale to an affiliate of American Capital Strategies, Inc.
- Neff Holdings in its sale to an affiliate of Marlin Capital Partners
- Igloo Products Corporation in its sale to an affiliate of J.H. Whitney & Co.
- Water-Pik Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: PIK) in its sale to The Carlyle Group and Zodiac S.A.
- Lifted Research Group in various M&A and commercial transactions
- Ronco Companies in the sale of substantially all of their assets to a private equity firm.
Business and Financial Services Transactions
- CareCredit LLC in its sale to an affiliate of GE Capital
- Mail Boxes Etc. in its sale to U.S. Office Products, Inc.
- Crown Bolt, Inc. in its sale to an affiliate of The Home Depot, Inc.
- Green Street Holdings, Inc. in its sale to an affiliate of Golden Gate Capital
- The Vid-Film Companies in their sale to an affiliate of Technicolor, Inc.
- Resources Connection, Inc. in various acquisitions and commercial transactions
- LifeCare Solutions, Inc. in its sale to Preferred Healthcare, Inc.
- Project Professionals, Inc. in its sale to AccuStaff, Inc.
- Interior Specialists, Inc. in its sale to a private equity firm
- New Century Financial Corporation in various acquisitions and commercial transactions
- Westec, Inc. in its corporate sale
- Spafinder LLC in a recapitalization transaction.
Industrial and Materials Transactions
- The Robertson’s Companies in their sale to an affiliate of Mitsubishi Materials, Inc.
- Jones Sand Company in its corporate sale
- Bode Sand & Gravel in its sale to an affiliate of U.S. Concrete, Inc.
- Hanson Building Materials America, Inc. in various acquisitions and joint venture transactions in the United States and Mexico
- Republic Fastener Mfg. Corp. and its affiliates in their acquisition by Alcoa Corp.
- Jonathan Manufacturing Corp. in its acquisition by an affiliate of Industrial Growth Partners
- Berkeley Industries, Inc. and affiliated entities in their corporate sale
- Ross Organic Sales, Inc. in its acquisition by an affiliate of Azelis Americas, Inc.
- Accurate Metal Fabricators, Inc. in its corporate recapitalization
- Nelson Holding Company in its sale to an affiliate of Hanson Building Materials America, Inc.
- G. Fenton Company in its sale to an affiliate of Hanson Building Materials America, Inc.
- An affiliate of Westar Capital II, LLC in the sale of Soff-Cut Holdings, Inc. to Husqvarna Professional Outdoor Products, Inc.
Awards & Accolades
Los Angeles Magazine Southern California “Super Lawyers” (multiple years) and “Rising Star” (multiple years).