Valerie A. Slater is senior counsel in the firm’s international trade practice, previously serving as the practice manager. She has also served on the firm’s management and diversity committees, as well as the Washington office diversity committee. Ms. Slater concentrates on trade regulatory matters.
Practice & Background
Ms. Slater represents clients in proceedings before the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. International Trade Commission and the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. She has extensive experience with antidumping and countervailing duty cases, and with other types of unfair trade litigation, including GSP matters and safeguard cases. Ms. Slater also advises clients on WTO and trade policy matters. She is a member of the Bar of the U.S. Court of International Trade and in 1998 was appointed to serve on the Court’s Advisory Committee on Rules. She has experience in filing, prosecuting, intervening in and arguing judicial appeals of administrative antidumping and countervailing duty determinations. Her trade litigation experience includes cases involving both traditional and non-market-economy cases, and the resolution of trade cases through suspension agreements.
Ms. Slater received her B.A. magna cum laude in 1974 from Allegheny College, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Ms. Slater’s recent representative matters include:
- representing the Norwegian Seafood Export Council in achieving the revocation of the antidumping and countervailing duty orders against Norwegian salmon
- representing the Catfish Farmers of America in the first antidumping action against a product from Vietnam
- representing the U.S. nitrogen fertilizer industry in various antidumping and countervailing duty matters and in connection with WTO accession issues
- representing the U.S. uranium mining industry in achieving the first non-market economy antidumping suspension agreement and in the 20 years of the agreement’s administration.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers USA and Chambers Global (2008-2017) – International trade
- Recommended by Legal 500 US in Dispute Resolution – International Trade (2008-2013; 2016-2017)
- Honored as one of five recipients of the inaugural Customs and International Trade Bar Association’s (CITBA) Barbara S. Williams Lifetime Achievement Award. (2016)
- Who’s Who Legal (2002-2014) for Trade & Customs – recognized as Most Highly Regarded Individuals for Trade and Customs in Washington, D.C.
- Named to Expert Guides’ “Best of the Best USA” 2014 in international trade
- Recognized by Washingtonian magazine as a top lawyer in the category of international trade (2013)
- Named 2013 “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers’ in Washington DC International Trade and Finance Law
- Selected as one of Washington, DC’s Women Leaders in the Law (2013)
- Legal Times – named as one of the 10 leading international trade lawyers in Washington, D.C. (2007)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2015 and 2018)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers (2008-2016).
- “U.S. International Trade Commission’s Decision-Making Process in Trade Remedy Cases,” a program at the U.S. International Trade Commission in Washington, DC (02/29/2012)
- “Year-in-Review: Trade” at the 2012 International Trade Update at Georgetown University Law Center (02/10/2012).