Vladimir Kouznetsov concentrates his practice on cross-border transactions, with a focus on the former Soviet Union. Mr. Kouznetsov’s practice involves structuring, negotiating and documenting cross-border mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate finance transactions.
Practice & Background
Based in the firm’s Moscow office since 2006, Mr. Kouznetsov has worked on a variety of transactions throughout the world, particularly in the United States, Russia and the former Soviet Union, East Asia, and Latin America and Brazil. He has been involved in deals in a variety of industries, including real estate, telecommunications, and the power and natural gas sectors, as well as in the high-tech sector with a focus on computer, Internet and telephony hardware and software.
Since 2003, Mr. Kouznetsov’s practice has almost exclusively involved transactions related to Russia.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Kouznetsov worked in the Washington, D.C. and Moscow offices of large international law firms.
Mr. Kouznetsov’s engagements include:
- Advising Sistema JSFC, a publicly-traded diversified holding company in Russia and the CIS, on the sale by its subsidiary CJSC DM Finance of a 23.1% stake in JSC Detsky Mir Group to the Russia-China Investment Fund
- Advising Garsdale (a subsidiary of USM) on US $657.3 million sale of 50% of the shares in Lefbord, a former joint venture between Garsdale and MegaFon which owns 50% of Euroset, to MegaFon, a leading Russian telecommunications operator.
- USM’s subsidiary Garsdale on a US$1.78 billion sale of Yota, a leading Russian 4G operator, to MegaFon, a leading Russian mobile operator
- USM Internet on a US$1.08 billion buyout of Telconet Capital Limited Partnership’s interest in Garsdale, which holds an interest in MegaFon
- the founders of a company that designs, manufactures and distributes power and data cables for railway rolling stock in connection with the sale of a 60% interest to a strategic investor and related shareholders’ agreement
- USM Advisors and MegaFon in connection with the acquisition of a 50% interest in the Euroset chain of mobile telephone retail stores
- Telecominvest in connection with an $8.5 billion shareholder restructuring of MegaFon
- New Media and Technology Investment, L.P. and Art Finance & Media on several rounds of investment in Digital Sky Technologies, an investor into a portfolio of Internet businesses in Russia, Eastern Europe and the United States
- Russian Towers, an independent operator of cellular transmission towers in Russia, on two rounds of capital raising from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, a UFG fund, an MRIF fund and other institutional investors
- on the sale of a majority interest in a large Russian coal producer
- on the sale by Troika Capital Partners of a 25% plus one share in Avtovaz to Renault and the related negotiation of a shareholders’ agreement of Avtovaz
- on the sale by Effective Energy of its interests in two uranium mining projects to Atomredmetzoloto
- Coalco Development on the joint venture to finance, design and construct White Square, and a subsequent sale of Coalco’s interest in the project
- on the joint venture to finance, design and construct Khan Shatyry, a landmark shopping center in Astana, Kazakhstan designed by Foster + Partners
- Enforta B.V., a provider of wi-max services throughout Russia, on the issuance of Series B preferred shares to Sumitomo Corporation and a Baring Vostok fund
- Acronis Inc., a major software developer, on the issuance of Series B preferred shares to a number of Insight funds and Intel Capital
- SWsoft Holdings Limited., a major software developer, on the issuance of Series B preferred shares to a number of Insight and Bessemer funds, Intel Capital and several individual investors and the redemption of certain existing shareholders; this representation included a major restructuring of SWsoft’s holding structure
- in connection with a redemption by Elbrus International Limited, a computer hardware developer, of secured convertible debentures and the eventual sale of substantially all of its business to Intel Capital
- on the purchase by a private equity group of Altis Semiconductor from Infineon and IBM
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers 2018 – ranked among top Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity lawyers in Russia
- The Best Lawyers 2011-2017 – ranked among top Corporate and Private Equity lawyers in Russia
- Chambers Europe and Chambers Global 2012-2017 - ranked for Corporate/M&A work. According to Chambers Europe 2012 Mr. Kouznetsov is highly praised by the clients for his “brilliant negotiation skills and proactive approach.”
- Chambers Europe 2017 - ranked for work in TMT
- Legal 500 EMEA 2012-2014, 2017 - ranked for Commercial/Corporate/M&A work. According to Legal 500 EMEA 2013 Mr. Kouznetsov is “dedicated, diligent and very driven on client service”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2014, 2017 - ranked for work in TMT
- Legal 500 EMEA 2017 - ranked for Real Estate and Construction work