Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP lawyers in the environment and natural resources practice offer experience and counseling with regard to chemical and pesticide environmental law. We offer a full collection of services, including developing compliance programs, providing day-to-day compliance counseling, furnishing strategic advice on structuring business relationships in a manner that is sensitive to chemical and pesticide concerns, providing legislative and regulatory advocacy services, assisting with investigations and responses and litigating matters in federal and state courts. Our lawyers’ knowledge of environmental law and regulations includes the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) .
Akin Gump represents and counsels companies before the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on a variety of pesticide, chemical and related regulatory and enforcement issues. Representative engagements include:
- representing and counseling startup manufacturers before EPA’s Office of Pesticide Programs during preregistration negotiations for innovative consumer products, to establish data requirements and develop timelines for treated-article and public-health registrations
- representing a pesticide manufacturer with respect to EPA’s unlawful release of confidential formula information, including litigation to restrain further dissemination of the confidential business information and resolve damage allegations
- advising a consumer product manufacturer on treated article restrictions and labeling strategies under FIFRA, to allow the client to revise its labeling, advertising and marketing materials and successfully introduce the product into a “big box” department store environment
- advising chemical and petrochemical clients on potential policy implications and advocacy options related to ongoing regulatory and legislative efforts to reform TSCA
- advising a large consumer appliance manufacturer on regulatory standards governing efficacy and treated article claims under FIFRA, including products utilizing nanomaterials
- advising an intermediate pesticide company in designing a manufacturing process to assist a customer in the manufacture of treated articles
- developing and managing strategic industry coalition efforts on behalf of multiple clients
- other related representations, including multiple data compensation arbitrations, compliance review of proposed labeling and negotiation with EPA regarding data requirements for registration and re-registration.