Practice & Background
Barry Russell is a member of the firm’s London financial restructuring and debt finance groups. His practice focuses on representing investors, lenders and other creditors in cross-border workouts and financial restructurings, as well as representing institutional investors in cross-border private placement and other financing transactions.
For the past 20 years, Mr. Russell has advised noteholders, bondholders and other creditor groups in many of the most significant workouts and restructurings of European companies, some of which have involved complex political and economic issues. He has also acted as special counsel to institutional investors in numerous cross-border private placements and other financings.
Mr. Russell was named one of the “Hot 100” Lawyers in London for 2008 by The Lawyer magazine. He has also been recognized as a leading restructuring lawyer in various publications, including Chambers UK, Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Legal 500, IFLR 1000 and Who’s Who Legal.
He is a Fellow of the American College of Investment Counsel and a member of the Institute for Turnaround, INSOL International, the Connecticut Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
- acted as counsel to creditor groups in the restructurings of Royal Imtech N.V., the Quinn Group, Connaught plc, Solarworld, three major Icelandic banks (Kaupthing, Landsbanki and Glitnir), Serco, three major U.K. homebuilders, Technicolor S.A. (formerly Thomson S.A.), FC Schalke, Deutz, DMC, Uralita, Northgate, Johnston Press, Pendragon, Sea Containers, Filmax, MJ Maillis, 20:20, Waterford Wedgwood, Wagon, Nybron, Cordiant Communications Group, Leeds United Football Club, HP Bulmer, IWP International, Jarvis, Focus DIY, Gate Gourmet Group, Marconi, John Laing, EVC, Mayflower, Albert Fisher, Somerfield, Booker, Costain and Tiphook
- acted as special counsel to institutional investors in numerous cross-border private placements and other financings, involving issuers such as Adidas AG, Carillion plc, Corio NV, Endesa S.A., G4S, Logica plc, QinetiQ, Rexam plc, Scottish & Newcastle plc, SIG plc, Tele 2, Travis Perkins plc and Yorkshire Water Services Limited.
Awards & Accolades
Mr. Russell is recognized as one of the world’s leading financial restructuring lawyers by the key industry publications. Such recognition includes:
- Chambers UK, Leaders in Their Field, Restructuring and Insolvency and Capital Markets: Debt
- Chambers Global, Restructuring and Insolvency and Capital Markets: Debt
- Chambers Europe, Restructuring/Insolvency (UK) and Capital Markets (UK)
- Legal 500, Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Legal 500, Debt Capital Markets
- IFLR 1000, Restructuring and Insolvency and Capital Markets: Debt
- Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Insolvency & Restructuring
- Best Lawyers UK, Insolvency & Restructuring Law
- Expert Guides: Guide to the World’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers
- The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, Insolvency and Restructuring
- Legal Experts, Best of the Best – Top 30 Insolvency Practitioners in the World.