Caitlin E. Olwell is a member of the firm’s intellectual property practice, where she focuses primarily on patent infringement litigation.
Practice & Background
Ms. Olwell has represented clients at various stages of district court, state court and appellate litigation. Her representations include work on behalf of the telecommunications, consumer products and medical device industries. Ms. Olwell also has experience in inter partes review proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Before joining Akin Gump, Ms. Olwell worked at a national law firm in New York and completed a one-year clerkship for The Honorable Charles F. Lettow in the United States Court of Federal Claims. Ms. Olwell received a J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law in 2014. During law school, she served as the supervising notes and comments editor on the Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property, received the Arlyn Miner Book Award for persuasive writing, and participated in the Bluhm Legal Clinic’s Children and Family Justice Center.
Ms. Olwell graduated from Colgate University with a B.A. in biology, where she was a member of The National Biological Honor Society (Beta Beta Beta) and received the Raymond J. Myers Award for excellence in biology. After graduation, she taught high school biology and environmental science to Chicago Public School students while she served as a Teach For America corps member. Ms. Olwell earned an M.A.T. in teaching from National Louis University, specializing in secondary school biology.
- AptarGroup, Inc. and Aptar France S.A.S. v. 3M Co., Merck & Co., Inc., and Merck, Sharp & Dohme Corp. (N.D. Ill.): representing defendants 3M Company, Merck & Co., Inc., and Merck, Sharp & Dohme Corp. in a patent infringement litigation concerning fluid dispenser systems
- Ultratec, Inc. and CapTel, Inc. v. Sorenson Communications, Inc. and CaptionCall, LLC (Fed. Cir.): representing defendants/appellees in plaintiffs’ appeal of a district court’s judgment of invalidity and defendants’ contingent cross-appeal on damages issues
- representing a multinational mobile phone company in more than 30 product liability actions pending before the Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- representing a medical device manufacturer in a trade secret and breach-of-contract arbitration
- Ultratec, Inc. v. CaptionCall, LLC (Fed. Cir.): representing appellee CaptionCall in the appeals of nine inter partes review proceedings
- Ultratec, Inc. and CapTel, Inc. v. Sorenson Communications, Inc. and CaptionCall, LLC (W.D. Wis.): representing a manufacturer of telecommunication devices in multiple district court patent infringement cases concerning telecommunication systems and devices for the hearing impaired
- CaptionCall, LLC Ultratec, Inc. (PTAB): representing a manufacturer of telecommunication devices in multiple inter partes review proceedings.
- a member of the Patent Trial and Appeal Board Bar Association
- a member of the New York State Bar Association.