Charles W. Johnson IV represents clients on a variety of public policy matters, with an emphasis on energy, environmental, automotive and health care issues. In addition, he provides strategic counseling on major corporate transactions.
Practice & Background
Mr. Johnson has counseled numerous clients on a range of issues considered during the congressional debate on and enactment of recent comprehensive energy legislation—the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. He has represented clients pursuing funding opportunities for energy projects under the recently enacted federal stimulus legislation—the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009—and on major environmental policy issues, including proposals dealing with greenhouse gas emissions. In addition, he has represented clients involved in major corporate transactions, including energy-sector mergers and acquisitions resulting in the formation of some of the world’s largest oil and gas and electric power companies. Mr. Johnson previously served as a law clerk to the House Judiciary Committee.
Mr. Johnson received his J.D. in 1994 from the Catholic University of America, where he served on the editorial board of the Catholic University Law Review and published a comment analyzing the immunity afforded members of Congress by the Speech or Debate Clause of the U.S. Constitution.
Mr. Johnson is involved in political, community, civic and charitable activities that include:
- Active involvement in democratic politics, and volunteering regularly for presidential and congressional campaigns
- serving as president of the Akin Gump School Partnership Project, which sponsors the firm’s longstanding partnership with John Tyler Elementary School in the District of Columbia Public School system
- serving on the board of the Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
- serving on the boards of Camp Dudley YMCA and the Camp Dudley Foundation
- serving as a director and legal counsel to Zone 214, a web-based resource for transitioning military veterans and their families
Awards & Accolades
- Vincent E. Reed Award for Public Education Advocacy, Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights & Urban Affairs, June 16, 2011
- Akin Gump’s Stark Ritchie Partner of the Year Award for 2014 for Outstanding Commitment to Pro Bono Services.