- Represents public and private companies and official and unofficial committees in bankruptcy and financial restructuring matters.
David Staber focuses his practice on bankruptcy law, including representation of trustees, committees, debtors, creditors, litigants, and potential purchasers of assets or companies. He regularly advises on deal structure, risks of insolvency proceedings, and bankruptcy alternatives and solutions.
- Represented the Joint Official Liquidators of Security Capital as they sought to enforce claims in the face of IRS and SEC opposition to payments to foreign companies in liquidation, reaching a successful global settlement.
- Advised an energy company in its acquisition of a sand mining company’s assets out of bankruptcy, formulating a bid and creating an innovative structure in order to prevail at auction.
- In a pro bono matter, acted on behalf of the Human Rights Initiative, twice appealing adverse rulings at the immigration court, obtaining the reversal of an adverse credibility finding and, on an interlocutory appeal, obtaining the reversal of a denial of a joint motion with the government to grant asylum. Success, in this case, was unusual, since the immigration court has a 97 percent denial rate for asylum cases.
- Counseled the Official Committee of Equity Security Holders of Seahawk Drilling, Inc., et al.
- Acted on behalf of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Calpine Corporation, et al.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Quebecor World (USA), Inc., et al.
Public Service and Affiliations