David Sewell is a partner in the firm’s cross–border transactions practice, based in Akin Gump’s London office.
Practice & Background
Mr. Sewell’s practice focuses on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and private equity transactions. He has advised on a number of multi-billion dollar cross-border transactions in the energy and telecom sectors in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and the U.S.
Mr. Sewell was part of the Akin Gump team which advised VEON, one of the world’s largest mobile telecommunications companies, in relation to the $2.6 billion sale by its Egyptian-listed subsidiary, Global Telecom Holding, of a 51 percent stake in Omnium Telecom Algeria (previously known as Orascom Telecom Algeria), the leading Algerian mobile telecommunications operator, to the Algerian National Investment Fund. The firm won “Global M&A Deal of the Year: Africa” at The American Lawyer Global Legal Awards 2015, “TMT Deal of the Year” at the TMT Finance Awards 2015 and was commended in the Corporate and Commercial category of the “FT Europe Innovative Lawyers Award” 2015 for its work on this transaction.
Legal 500 UK 2017 also recommends Mr Sewell in Corporate and Commercial: M&A and Private Equity. Sources say the “attentive, detail-oriented” Mr Sewell is “impressive in structuring complex transactions quickly and efficiently.”
Mr. Sewell received his LL.B. with honors in English and European law from Queen Mary, University of London and the Humboldt University of Berlin in 2003. He subsequently completed the legal practice course at the College of Law in London. He was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2007.
Mr. Sewell’s recent engagements include:
- advising Bridas on the formation of the largest privately-owned integrated energy company in Argentina, through the combination of Bridas and BP plc’s interests in Pan American Energy, Argentina’s second largest producer of oil and gas, and Bridas’ interest in refiner and marketer Axion Energy
- advising USM, a leader in the Russian-speaking internet market, on the sale of its stake in Mail.Ru to MegaFon for $740 million
- advising VEON in relation to the $2.6 billion disposal by its Egyptian-listed subsidiary Global Telecom Holding of a 51 percent stake in Omnium Telecom Algeria to the Algerian National Investment Fund
- advising VEON in relation to MegaFon’s acquisition of a 50 percent stake in Russian mobile retailer Euroset for $1.2 billion
- advising Bridas on its formation of a joint venture with the China National Offshore Oil Corporation for $3.1 billion (one of The Wall Street Journal’s Deal Journal Most Important M&A Deals of 2010)
- advising Bridas on its agreement to acquire joint venture partner BP plc’s stake in Pan American Energy for $7.059 billion (one of The Wall Street Journal’s Deal Journal Most Important M&A Deals of 2010)
- advising AF Telecom on the approximately $8.5 billion shareholder restructuring of MegaFon, Russia’s second largest mobile phone operator
- advising VEON on a series of acquisitions and joint ventures in Russia, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan
- advising Hillwood International Energy, an independent oil and gas exploration and production company, on the sale of 20 percent (and, subsequently, an additional 10 percent) of its interest in the Sarsang licence area of Kurdistan to Maersk Oil
- advising Celtique Energie, a U.K.-based petroleum exploration and production company with assets in seven jurisdictions, on various transactions, including a private equity investment of up to $100 million
- advising Riverstone, a leading global private equity firm, on its formation of Velocita Energy Developments to develop, construct and own European wind projects
- advising Coalco, a leading Russian real estate investment and development company, on its joint ventures with AIG/Lincoln to finance, design and construct the White Square and White Gardens office complexes in central Moscow
- advising Coalco on its sale of an interest in the White Square and White Gardens office complexes to VTB Capital.