Dennis Jared Windscheffel is a senior counsel in Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s San Antonio office.
Practice & Background
Mr. Windscheffel represents both plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial disputes. He has represented clients in a variety of industries, including securities, insurance, energy, real estate, construction, oil and gas, intellectual property and telecommunications.
Mr. Windscheffel has been recognized by San Antonio Scene Magazine as one of San Antonio’s best litigation lawyers for 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Mr. Windscheffel has also been recognized for his extensive pro bono work. In 2014, Mr. Windscheffel was recognized as Akin Gump’s pro bono counsel of the year in recognition of a long-standing dedication to pro bono clients. Mr. Windscheffel had previously been recognized as Akin Gump’s San Antonio office pro bono counsel of the year in 2011 and as Akin Gump’s San Antonio office pro bono associate of the year in 2008.
Most recently, Mr. Windscheffel was part of a group of attorneys who organized and participated in the Karnes City Project, a collaborative project that provides pro bono representation to refugee women and children from Central America detained in Karnes City. Akin Gump has received numerous awards for its participation in the project, including the 2015 State Bar of Texas Frank Newton Award.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Windscheffel served as a law clerk for the Honorable Randy Crane of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Some of Mr. Windscheffel’s recent cases have included:
- defending several class action shareholder suits against a major media company
- defending a class action shareholder suit against a health care company
- defending a class action suit brought against a variable annuity insurer
- defending a major insurance company in a reinsurance dispute
- defending a major insurance company in a suit involving suitability and overinsurance claims
- defending a suit against an international telecommunications carrier involving federal and state right-of-way issues.
Awards & Accolades
- San Antonio Scene Magazine: Best Litigation Lawyers (2013 to 2015)
- Akin Gump Pro Bono Counsel of the Year, 2014
- Akin Gump, San Antonio office, Pro Bono Counsel of the Year, 2011
- Akin Gump, San Antonio office, Pro Bono Counsel Associate of the Year, 2008
- CLE Panelist, Fighting Family Detention, presented by The University of Texas Law School, 2015
- CLE Panelist, Representing Clients with Mental Health Issues, 2010