Eliot D. Raffkind focuses his practice on the representation of investment managers, including advisors to domestic and offshore hedge funds and other private investment funds, in connection with fund formations and portfolio investing activities.
Practice & Background
Mr. Raffkind has been recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2010 to 2016),Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers in Business (2012 to 2015) in the area of hedge funds and Legal 500 US (2016) in the areas of Investment Fund Formation and Management: Alternative/Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds (2016). He was also recognized as one of the world’s leading private fund lawyers by Who’s Who Legal (2011, 2014 and 2016) and as one of the world’s leading investment funds lawyers by Expert Guides.
Mr. Raffkind is a frequent speaker before investment fund trade groups on issues affecting hedge funds and other private equity funds.
Mr. Raffkind was also the recipient of the 2011 Partner Recognition Award for his work at the firm’s Dallas office, awarded by that office’s associate and counsel committee, for contributions to the mentoring and professional development of associates and counsel.
Mr. Raffkind received his B.B.A. in finance with high honors in 1983 and his J.D. with honors in 1986 from the University of Texas, where he served as a teaching quizmaster from 1985 to 1986. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas.
Mr. Raffkind’s recent representative engagements in the investment management area include:
- formation of a hedge fund to invest in sovereign debt
- representation of a public retirement fund in connection with portfolio investment activities
- sale of an interest in a hedge fund management company to a third-party investor
- formation of domestic and offshore investment funds and related negotiations of a seed capital investment
- formation of private investment funds focusing on investments in the oil and gas sector
- formation of domestic and offshore funds focused on investments in securities of distressed companies
- formation of an investment fund focused on investments in the energy industry
- formation of domestic and offshore funds investing in international securities and related registration of the investment manager as a commodity pool operator with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission
- formation of a private investment fund focused on minority enterprises
- formation of a private investment fund focused on companies engaged in the communications industry
- formation of an offshore investment fund to invest in distressed debt securities in emerging-market countries
- representation of the sponsor of a start-up hedge fund in connection with the formation of the fund and the negotiations with the person hired to manage the fund
- formation of domestic and offshore hedge funds incorporating a protection of principal feature
- formation of domestic and offshore hedge funds incorporating an enhanced leverage feature
- representation of a registered investment advisor in connection with a managed account with a university endowment
- modifications to soft-dollar disclosure in offering documents in light of Securities and Exchange Commission developments
- preparation of personal trading policy for a state-registered investment advisor
- formation of domestic and offshore hedge funds focused on technology securities
- formation of fund of funds investing in leveraged buyout funds
- formation of a domestic investment fund focused on short-selling
- formation of domestic and offshore currency trading funds
- formation of a domestic fund focused on derivatives
- amendments to domestic and offshore fund documents for a hedge fund advisor with $1.5 billion in capital under management
- formation of a fund of funds investment fund for a start-up manager
- formation of domestic and offshore funds to invest primarily in treasury securities of emerging-market countries
- acquisition of the assets of an investment advisory firm and related registration of the client as an investment advisor
- formation of a domestic investment fund focusing on investments in China.
Mr. Raffkind’s community, civic and charitable activities include:
- board of directors member of Capital for Kids
- board of directors member of Jonathan’s Place
- board of directors member of the Texas Hedge Fund Association from 2002 to 2010.
- “Social Media: Compliance and Legal Considerations for Investment Advisors,” Dallas Quarterly Investment Funds Roundtable, March 8, 2012
- 2011 Maples Investment Funds Forum, February 11, 2011
- Compliance Best Practices Forum, March 3, 2010.