Elizabeth Treubert Simon is an ethics lawyer in the Office of General Counsel. She advises on a wide range of ethics and compliance-related matters to support Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s offices worldwide. Ms. Simon currently serves on the D.C. Bar Legal Ethics Committee and the New York State Bar Association Committee on Professional Discipline.
Practice & Background
Ms. Simon is involved in issues impacting firm risk management and client relations. Among other areas, these include resolving conflict-of-interest situations, advising on ethical questions, and assisting in the development of firm policies to support ethics and compliance best practices.
Ms. Simon is an experienced litigator and legal ethics advisor, having spent her legal career representing clients in commercial and business litigation and appeals, including cases involving insurance coverage, professional liability, intellectual property, business torts and legal ethics.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Ms. Simon was a litigator in the District of Columbia and New York. As a legal ethics advisor, Ms. Simon counseled lawyers and bar applicants on legal ethics matters, including disciplinary proceedings, fee disputes and bar admissions. She has represented clients in the disciplinary process in the District of Columbia and Maryland and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and in District of Columbia fee dispute arbitrations. Ms. Simon speaks and writes extensively on ethics issues.
Ms. Simon is a member of the bars of the District of Columbia, Maryland, New York and Virginia.
Ms. Simon’s professional and civic activities include:
- Vice-Chair of the DC Legal Ethics Committee (2017- present)
- D.C. Bar Legal Ethics Committee (2013–present)
- New York State Bar Association Committee on Professional Discipline (2006–present)
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (2012–present); Membership Committee (2014–present)
- Maryland Court of Appeals Mentoring Program (2013–2016)
- University of Pennsylvania Alumni Interview Program (2013–present)
- Montgomery County, Maryland, Board of Education Ethics Panel (2015–present)
- ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation, Co-Chair, Ethics & Professionalism Subcommittee (2011–2016)
- D.C. Bar Publications Committee (2010–2015), vice-chair (2011–2015).