Practice & Background
Emma Simmonds’ practice focuses on advising creditors on complex cross-border restructurings and refinancings. She acts for a broad range of financial institutions, including private placement noteholders, insurance companies, pension funds, hedge funds, banks, creditor committees and bondholders. Ms. Simmonds also has experience in advising on general distressed lending matters and debt and claims trading.
Ms. Simmonds is recommended for financial restructuring in Legal 500.
Ms Simmonds is a member of the Insolvency Lawyers’ Association, the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3) and the American College of Investment Counsel
Ms. Simmonds’ engagements include advising:
- Brunswick Rail Limited, a Russian railcar leasing business, in workout and financial restructuring discussions
- mezzanine lenders to the Expro group, an oil and gas well management provider
- Oaktree Capital as the principal new investor and contributor of a vessel fleet on the financial restructuring of Torm A/S, a Danish listed shipping company. The restructuring was consummated by means of a scheme of arrangement
- holders of private placement notes on the restructuring and subsequent bankruptcy of Royal Imtech NV, a listed Dutch technical services provider
- private placement noteholders on the administration sale of the Tensator group, manufacturer of queueing barriers and systems
- private placement noteholders on the financial restructurings of Wagon plc and Deutz A.G.
- private placement noteholders on the restructuring and sale of assets of Hampson Industries plc
- senior lender to Rijnmond Energie CV, owner of a natural gas-fired, combined-cycle power plant in the Netherlands
- sole senior lender on the €480 million refinancing of a real estate portfolio with properties in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands
- senior lenders in LBO restructurings, including the Terreal group and Monier, European manufacturers of building products
- mezzanine lenders in LBO restructurings, including Gala Coral, Viridian, Alliance Medical, Europackaging and 20:20
- noteholders on the restructuring of high yield bonds issued by Invitel, Independent News & Media Plc, Damovo Group, Emap, Torex Retail and Luxfer Holdings
- Nordic Trustee ASA, on behalf of holders of Norwegian law bonds issued by Sea Trucks Group Limited, Xcite Energy Resources Plc, Skeie Drilling AS, Master Marine and Remedial (Cyprus) Public Company Limited
- investors in relation to sovereign bonds.
Awards & Accolades
- Legal 500, Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- An Anatomy of a Bond Restructuring, Akin Gump Client Seminar, March 2016