Fred S. Hodara retired from the partnership at the end of 2016.
Practice & Background
Mr. Hodara was the leader of the firm’s financial restructuring practice. He represented private placement noteholders, committees, investment funds and other creditors in major financial restructuring and bankruptcy situations.
Mr. Hodara’s committee representations often involved diverse creditor constituencies, such as the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Overseas Shipholding Group (insurance company, trade, bond and quasi-governmental committee members), where Mr. Hodara’s unsecured creditor constituents received a recovery of par plus post-petition interest. Mr. Hodara also represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Washington Mutual Inc., the vast majority of whose unsecured have received payment in full in cash of their nearly $8 billion of claims, including the payment of all accrued post-petition interest at contract rates.
Mr. Hodara has led significant cross-border insolvency matters, including representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Nortel Networks, Inc. (Canada/U.K./U.S.) and of the Joint Official Liquidators of two Bear Stearns-managed subprime hedge funds (Cayman Islands/U.S.).
Mr. Hodara was a member of the Board of Trustees of the American College of Investment Counsel, is a former director of the Turnaround Management Association-New York Chapter, and a former member of the editorial board of INSOL World, the quarterly journal of INSOL International.
Mr. Hodara’s notable representations have included:
- Washington Mutual Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Nortel Networks Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Overseas Shipholding Group Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Philadelphia Inquirer Secured Lender Group
- Three Former Icelandic Banks (Kaupthing, Landsbanki, Glitnir)
- Foxwoods Resort Casino Special Revenue Obligations Noteholder Group
- Atlantic Power Noteholder Group
- Joint Official Liquidators of Bear Stearns subprime hedge funds
Awards & Accolades
Mr. Hodara has been recognized as one of the country’s leading financial restructuring attorneys. Such recognition includes:
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2005-2016
- The Who’s Who Legal: Insolvency & Restructuring, 2015-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America
- K&A Restructuring Register: America’s Top 100 Restructuring Professionals
- International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2006-2016
- Being named one of Turnarounds & Workouts’ “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers”, 2007 and 2008
- Legal 500 US recommends Fred Hodara in Finance – Corporate Restructuring (including bankruptcy) (2016).
- Moderated a panel on the Emergence of Mediation in Cross-Border Cases at the Annual R3 & INSOL Europe Restructuring Conference, London, UK, May 19, 2017
- Moderated a panel titled “Energy Restructurings: Fuelling Opportunity?” at the Annual London Investment Funds Conference: 2015 Trends and Developments, June 4, 2015
- Moderated a panel covering the American Bankruptcy Institute Reform Commission’s proposed amendments to the Bankruptcy Code at the American College of Investment Counsel’s 2015 Annual Spring Investment Forum
- Participated on a panel titled “Jurisdictional Challenges” at the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Delaware Bankruptcy Views From The Bench Conference, Wilmington, Delaware November 21, 2011
- Co-chair of American College of Investment Counsel’s 2011 Annual Meeting and Education Conference