Ira S. Dizengoff focuses on corporate restructurings, with an emphasis on creditors’ committees and bondholder committees in large, complex cases both out of court and in chapter 11.
Practice & Background
Mr. Dizengoff represents bondholders, noteholders, institutional investors, hedge funds and other interested parties. He has also represented debtors in possession, post-petition lenders and acquirers of distressed assets. His restructuring matters encompass a variety of industries and involve multijurisdictional and cross-border matters.
Mr. Dizengoff represents numerous companies in restructurings and recapitalizations in and out of court including Coso Geothermal Power Holdings, LLC, Allied Nevada Gold Corp., Quiznos (QCE Finance LLC), TerreStar Networks and its parent TerreStar Corporation, American Media Inc., Atari Inc., PetroRig entities, Marquis Jet Partners, Foamex International Inc., Granite Broadcasting Corporation, U.S. Shipping Corp. and Trident Resources Corp.
Mr. Dizengoff received his B.A. magna cum laude in history from Brandeis University and his J.D. in 1992 from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he was a member of the Cardozo Law Review.
Mr. Dizengoff is a frequent lecturer at leading high-yield conferences and restructuring seminars. He is involved in community and charitable activities and has received recognition for his accomplishments in this area. He currently sits on the Board of Overseers of the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law.
Mr. Dizengoff’s recent representations include:
- an informal group of unsecured noteholders of Energy Future Intermediate Holdings Corp.
- an ad hoc group of unsecured noteholders of Breitburn Energy Partners LP
- an ad hoc bondholders of Seadrill Limited
- the unsecured noteholders of Atlas Resource Partners, L.P.
- an ad hoc group of secured noteholders of Constellation Enterprises LLC
- an informal group of senior secured lenders and noteholders of Walter Energy, Inc.
- an ad hoc group of second lien lenders of Templar Energy LLC
- the first lien lenders of Avaya Inc.
- the secured creditors of Sequa Corporation
- the first and second lien lenders of True Religion Apparel, Inc.
- the tendering noteholders of Arch Coal, Inc.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Edison Mission Energy
- the steering group of lenders of Longview Power, LLC
- the steering group of lenders of LifeCare Holdings, Inc.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Dynegy Holdings, Inc.
- informal group of first lien lenders of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Co.
- second lien lender group of Indianapolis Downs, LLC
- second lien lender group of NewPage Corporation
- second lien lender group and new money investors of Quiznos
- an informal group of noteholders of Six Flags (Premier International Holdings, Inc.)
- an informal group of first lien lenders of Ion Media Networks, Inc.
- Avenue Capital as the majority owner of second lien notes and new money investor of MagnaChip Semiconductor
- an informal group of noteholders of Spansion LLC
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Quebecor World (USA), Inc.
- an informal committee of noteholders of Vertis, Inc.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of WorldCom, Inc.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading lawyer in the area of bankruptcy/restructuring, 2008-2017
- The Who’s Who Legal: Insolvency & Restructuring, 2016
- Legal 500 US recommends Ira Dizengoff in Finance –corporate restructuring (including bankruptcy), 2016-2017
- Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in bankruptcy and creditor debtor rights / insolvency and reorganization laww, 2011 - 2018
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2008-2016
- “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers,” Turnarounds & Workouts, 2014
- “Outstanding Young Bankruptcy Lawyer,” Turnarounds & Workouts, 2003.