- Represents domestic and offshore hedge funds and hedge fund managers in all aspects of their business.
- Advises on compliance with regulatory demands, particularly those related to exchange, self-regulatory, and governmental audits and investigations.
- Extensive experience representing CTAs in the highly regarded global commodities funds practice.
JP Bruynes works with a range of professionals in the private investment space, focusing on the formation and operation of quantitative investment managers and funds. He actively participates in structuring, negotiating and documenting fund formation, seed capital and other transactions. He also advises hedge fund managers, investment advisers, commodity trading advisors (CTAs), commodity pool operators (CPOs) and third-party marketers with regulatory compliance, including responses to SEC, CFTC, NFA and exchange audits and investigations.
- Assisted a global commodities fund in connection with the establishment of a new fund for its flagship program and modernization of the related Bermuda fund.
- Advised an investment management firm in its establishment of a new master feeder fund to trade its futures program.
- Supported an investment management firm in obtaining Securities and Exchange Commission investment adviser registration and in preparing necessary compliance policies and procedures.
- Has assisted clients in navigating complex new swaps trading rules, including the implantation of the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID) II, Dodd-Frank Protocols I and II, the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR) swaps rules, proposed CFTC federal speculative position limits for futures and related swaps, aggregation rules and exemptions, and the applicability of swaps reporting. Given the sometimes overlapping and potentially different requirements of Dodd-Frank and EMIR, frequently advises clients on transacting transatlantic business.
- Actively advising many of the world’s largest CTAs and hedge fund managers in connection with MiFID II and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance.
Public Service and Affiliations