Jason M. Daniel is a member of Akin Gump’s investment management practice and is a member of its knowledge management team.
Practice & Background
Mr. Daniel received his B.A. summa cum laude in philosophy and Spanish from the University of Missouri at Columbia and his J.D. in 2001 from Washington University.
Mr. Daniel is a member of the State Bar of Texas.
Mr. Daniel’s recent engagements include:
Securities Trading and Reporting Advice
- representing several fund clients that were affiliates of issuers with the analysis of available exemptions from the Securities Act of 1933
- advising several fund clients in connection with filing exemptions from Schedules 13D and G and Forms 3, 4 and 5, and in connection with determining potential exemptions from disgorgement
- representing an activist fund in two ultimately successful proxy contests for a “short slate” of nominees to be elected to the board of directors of a public company
- representing a distressed debt fund in connection with the sale of a portfolio company’s equity securities as a selling stockholder in an initial public offering and a follow-on offering.
Investment Adviser Compliance and Registration
- the review of multiple Forms ADV Part 1A and Parts 2A and 2B
- the review of multiple compliance manuals in connection with the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and the Securities Act of 1933
- analysis of whether multiple managers are required to register under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940
- advice regarding compliance on the various rules under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
Mergers and Acquisitions Transactions
- advising a publicly traded real estate investment trust (REIT) in connection with its merger into another publicly traded REIT
- advising a publicly traded company in connection with the acquisition of multiple registered futures commission merchants
- representing a private media holding company in connection with the acquisition of several newspapers.
- Commodity Pools Before and After Dodd-Frank, Dallas Quarterly Investment Funds Roundtable, June 6, 2012
- Form PF Cliff notes…Everything you Need to Know to be Ready, Crescent Hotel in Dallas,
March 28, 2012.