- Has handled transactions for more than 30 years in virtually all areas of the energy industry.
- Works on energy deals in Europe, Africa, Russia and CIS countries, the Middle East, India and the United States.
- Assists clients throughout volatile market cycles in challenging jurisdictions.
John LaMaster advises energy companies in a broad range of international mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; joint ventures; project development; and related activities.
- Advising a U.K.-based independent oil and gas company in the first frontier activities in Somalia since the civil war, including negotiating production-sharing agreements and farmout agreements.
- Provided counsel to a privately owned upstream oil and gas exploration and production company in a transaction with an oil services company to form a joint venture for directional drilling, hydraulic fracturing and related oil field services in the Middle East.
- Counseled a power generating company in the development of an approximately 500 MW independent power project in the West Bank of Palestine. The project is to be fueled initially by natural gas produced offshore Israel and transported across Israel by pipeline. Later, the project is intended to be fueled by natural gas produced offshore Gaza.
- Representing an ad hoc committee of bondholders in the financial restructuring of a U.K.-listed oil and gas company. The matter included divestitures of upstream oil and gas assets across Africa, including in Nigeria, Kenya, Seychelles and Tanzania. Experience in Africa, particularly in Nigeria—where the most valuable assets are located—was of particular help to the client.
Public Service and Affiliations