Justin Williams is an English qualified solicitor with over 20 years’ experience of handling complex international disputes, both in international arbitration and before the English High Court. He is head of the firm’s international arbitration practice.
Practice & Background
Mr. Williams has been recommended for many years in UK and global legal directories for his disputes practice:
Mr. Williams has acted in international arbitrations under the major arbitral rules all over the world, including in Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe, CIS, sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and Asia. His practice spans both commercial and treaty arbitration, and he has significant experience in public international law.
Mr. Williams has represented financial institutions and multinational corporations in numerous disputes before the English High Court, the great majority being for non-U.K. clients. In conjunction with local counsel, Mr. Williams has also acted in international litigation in jurisdictions, including in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, the Caribbean and the Indian subcontinent.
Mr. Williams received his B.A. from Bristol University in 1988. He qualified as a solicitor in 1993.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers Global (2017 – 2018), ranked in “Dispute Resolution (Expertise Based Abroad) — Russia”. Sources say he is “clearly very experienced in dealing with heavy commercial disputes” and that he “appears to be very good at building a rapport with his clients.”
- Chambers Global (2016 – 2017), ranked for “Energy & Natural Resources: Disputes”. Sources say he is “a very good organiser and ticks all the boxes.”
- Chambers UK (2016 – 2018), ranked for “Energy & Natural Resources: Disputes”. Sources say “He's very personable and gives clear advice. He's a highly competent and experienced litigator.”
- Chambers UK (2008 – 2017), ranked for “Litigation” Sources say “He is very strong academically and has great writing skills.” Justin is "an excellent solicitor in every respect."
- Chambers UK (2014), ranked for “International Arbitration”. Justin Williams “...is very commercially minded, he is a good strategist and he is very sensible.”
- Chambers UK (2012), Sources praise his punctual, practical and professional service and attest to his “strategic and valuable advice during arbitration.”
- Best Lawyers UK, Litigation (2009-2019)
- Legal 500 UK (2019_, ranked as a leading individual for Fraud: Civil
- Legal 500 UK, (2014 – 2019), noted in “Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration” as “a first-rate partner with an excellent, strategic mind - he also has very good knowledge of the detailed issues and is always on top of the latest developments in cases.”
- Legal 500 UK (2014 – 2019), ranked as a leading individual for “Dispute Resolution: Commercial Litigation”. Justin Williams is “clearly very experienced in dealing with heavy commercial disputes.”
- Legal 500 (2011), “Williams gives honest advice about how to win an arbitration.”
- Legal 500 EMEA (2018), noted in “Dispute Resolution: Arbitration & Mediation.”
- Panelist, “Energy Infrastructure: impact of trade policy, mid-term elections and oil prices”, Houston October 3, 2018
- Panelist, “Arbitration Clauses: Common Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them,” Akin Gump Annual New York Private Investment Funds Conference, New York, NY, September 27, 2018
- Panelist, “EU Sanctions Developments” Akin Gump’s Seminar on International Sanctions and Anti-Bribery Laws, Moscow, Russia, March 1, 2018
- Panelist, “The Impact of Economic Nationalism on International Trade, Investment and M&A” Seminar, Geneva, Switzerland, November 9, 2017
- Panelist, “The Impact of Economic Nationalism on International Trade, Investment and M&A” Seminar, London, U.K., November 7, 2017