- Has acted in international arbitrations under major arbitral rules and in centers of arbitration all over the world.
- Wide-ranging experience in cross-border litigation, including in energy, telecoms and joint ventures.
Justin Williams has acted in numerous complex and high-value international arbitrations in Latin America, North America, the Caribbean, Europe, CIS countries, sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and Asia. His practice includes both commercial and treaty arbitration.
- Acted for an oil company in bringing a US$1.2 billion LCIA arbitration relating to the sale of production assets. The case was successfully settled shortly after the commencement of proceedings.
- Obtained a groundbreaking International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes award on behalf of an international tire manufacturer in which it was found for the first time that trademark licenses may comprise an “investment” and so found arbitral jurisdiction.
- In a US$1 billion dispute regarding ownership of Russia’s largest power company, defeated two separate appeals to the British Virgin Islands Court of Appeal.
- Obtained a worldwide freezing injunction from the English Court on behalf of an oil and gas company in order to prevent the defendants in a US$300 million fraud claim from dissipating their assets.