- Has acted in complex, high value international arbitrations under all the major arbitral rules and in centers of arbitration all over the world.
- Wide-ranging experience in complex, high value cross-border litigation and energy disputes.
Justin Williams is an English qualified solicitor with 20 years’ experience of handling complex international disputes, both in international arbitration and before the English High Court. He heads Akin Gump’s London international arbitration practice, and he has particular focus on energy and on artificial intelligence.
- Acted for an oil company in bringing a US$1.2 billion LCIA arbitration relating to the sale of production assets. The case was successfully settled shortly after the commencement of proceedings.
- Obtained a groundbreaking International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes award on behalf of an international tire manufacturer in which it was found for the first time that trademark licenses may comprise an “investment” and so found arbitral jurisdiction.
- In a US$1 billion dispute regarding ownership of Russia’s largest power company, defeated two separate appeals to the British Virgin Islands Court of Appeal.
- Obtained a worldwide freezing injunction from the English Court on behalf of an oil and gas company in order to prevent the defendants in a US$300 million fraud claim from dissipating their assets.