Practice and Background
Kambiz Larizadeh is a partner in Akin Gump’s litigation team, focusing on civil fraud, complex cross-border commercial litigation and arbitration.
He has extensive experience of leading teams on a wide range of high-value, complex international disputes, often involving allegations of misconduct and fraud. He has acted for both claimants and defendants. His clients have included large international corporations, major financial institutions, media and technology companies, airlines and a number of high-net-worth individuals, including Roman Abramovich.
Mr. Larizadeh has also advised on a diverse range of commercial disputes, on mandatory and prohibitive injunctions, international and domestic freezing injunctions and anti-suit proceedings in support of domestic litigation and arbitration. He has acted in a number of “bet the company” litigations and arbitrations involving claims in excess of $1 billion. Legal 500 UK 2017, recommends Mr. Larizadeh in International Arbitration and Commercial Litigation. Clients say he “gets to grip with the finest detail of a case” and that he is “absolutely brilliant to work with.” He was also selected as among the world’s leading asset recovery lawyers by Who’s Who Legal: Asset Recovery 2018.
Mr. Larizadeh’s recent engagements include:
- Acting for one of the largest property development companies in the Middle East and a Bahraini investment bank in a $1 billion High Court multi-jurisdictional action involving allegations of conspiracy and breach of confidence (this was one of The Lawyer's Top 20 cases of 2014)
- Representing Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG) Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts in relation to claims for payment by JPMorgan under a single tranche collateralized debt obligation entered into by BVG in 2007, purportedly in connection with its credit exposure under certain cross-border leasing contracts (this was another of The Lawyer's Top 20 cases of 2014)
- Acting for Roman Abramovich in a multi-billion-dollar dispute relating to claims for breach of contract, breach of trust and intimidation arising out of the creation of the Russian oil company Sibneft and the Russian aluminium company RUSAL
- Acting for a high-net-worth individual on a $1.2 billion London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) dispute involving the acquisition of mining assets in the Ukraine
- Acting for a consortium of Western emerging market bondholders in a $250 million LCIA claim against a Russian debtor accused of fraud. The claim involved parallel proceedings in London, Cyprus and St. Petersburg
- Advising on asset recovery and derivatives disputes arising out of U.S. insolvency proceedings surrounding the collapse of the Enron Corporation
- Litigation arising out of allegations of investment fraud in the Turkish telecommunications industry
- Acting for a consortium of leading online music service providers in copyright tribunal proceedings brought against the major music publishers
- Acting on behalf of an international flag carrier defending a $20 million aircraft-leasing claim brought by insurers