- Focuses on customs law and policy.
- Served in various capacities at the U.S. Customs Service.
Lars-Erik Hjelm represents Fortune 500 companies whose imports and exports are regulated by the Department of Homeland Security agencies of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), as well as by other federal agencies. His experience covers the wide range of commercial and enforcement laws and policies that CBP and ICE administer, including:
- Duty preference programs
- Tariff classification
- Customs brokerage
- Intellectual property rights enforcement
- Country of origin marking
- Binding rulings
- Antiterrorism and border protection initiatives (e.g., the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism)
- Export controls
- Seizures and forfeitures
- Fraud and strategic investigations
- Civil and criminal penalties.
- Counseling clients through intensive customs audits.
- Representing a company before the CIT in a historic case on CBP’s refusal to grant duty-free treatment under the Generalized System of Preferences.
Public Service and Affiliations