- Concentrates her practice on immigration and international trade matters.
Maka Hutson regularly advises clients on various aspects of immigration and nationality law, including:
- Employment visas
- Permanent residency
- I-9 compliance, including in mergers and acquisitions
- Immigration-related internal investigations
- Foreign national hiring practices
- EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program
- Visa issuance abroad
- Waivers of inadmissibility
- Family-based immigration petitions
- Legislative and regulatory immigration policy proposals.
- Counseling a major fast-food restaurant chain in a Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation of its immigration-related hiring practices.
- Obtaining approvals for several executives and persons of specialized knowledge transferring from an overseas office of a major investment fund to U.S. offices.
- Counseling a major manufacturing company in an acquisition of a competitor and transfer of multiple foreign national employees, both on the equity and asset sides of the deal.
- Conducting a comprehensive International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) compliance investigation into export and import practices of a major defense contractor.
- Counseling foreign investors in actions to obtain discovery under Section 1782 and to enforce a foreign judgment in California.
Public Service and Affiliations